Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expansion/contraction same thing?

1. Aug 21, 2004 #1
    I have come to the conclusion that expansion and contraction are probably the same thing. Doppler redshifts do not prove that the universe as a whole is expanding. On the contrary, redshifts can show contraction, such as those seen on the event horizon of a black hole. Redshifts only show that objects are moving away from US. Furthermore, if one subscibes to a holographic model of the universe, you come to the conclusion that if the universe is contracting in part (a black hole) it is contracting as a whole. If a black hole leaks out its contents back into the universe as some suggest, one could also percieve black hole contraction as a form of expansion.

It is assumed that the universe is expanding from a central location in the observable universe, that being the big bang. To me, to assume the universe has a point of origin in both space and time is claiming that there truly is an absolute frame of reference.

The above ideas seem so obvious I find it hard to believe that cosmologist and physicist have overlooked them.

What do you think? Are my ideas flawed in your opinion?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2004 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

That is not what the big bang says. The big bang happened everywhere at once.
    Correct. Therefore: big bang.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?