Expand Polynomials: Tips & Tricks for Homework

• Thread starter ibysaiyan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expansion
In summary, The person is asking for help with a math problem they did 7 months ago and are now finding it dull. They are wondering if they should expand the equations or use partial fractions. The responder suggests using the Binomial Theorem for a better solution and the asker asks for clarification on how to use it.
ibysaiyan

Homework Statement

Hi
Basically i did these problems quite awhile back maybe 7 months ago lol its sort of dull now..

Question is:
2h3zn6q.png

Homework Equations

So do i first expand them or how? LOL i can do partials fractions and all but for some reason not these apparently easy to look problems.Thanks for your reply!

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
ibysaiyan said:

Homework Statement

Hi
Basically i did these problems quite awhile back maybe 7 months ago lol its sort of dull now..

Question is:
2h3zn6q.png

Homework Equations

So do i first expand them or how? LOL i can do partials fractions and all but for some reason not these apparently easy to look problems.Thanks for your reply!

The Attempt at a Solution

Well you can expand them both, and that's pretty simple, but long an tedious. I imagine that the better way to do these involves the Binomial Theorem.

Mark44 said:
Well you can expand them both, and that's pretty simple, but long an tedious. I imagine that the better way to do these involves the Binomial Theorem.
Hi
Thanks for the reply
So basically i just use binomial expansion and then compare the co-efficients..?

1. How do I expand a polynomial?

To expand a polynomial, you need to use the distributive property. This means that you need to multiply each term in the parentheses by every term outside of the parentheses, and then combine like terms. For example, to expand (x+2)(x+3), you would multiply x by both x and 3, and 2 by both x and 3. Then, you would combine like terms to get x^2+5x+6.

2. What are some common mistakes to avoid when expanding polynomials?

One common mistake when expanding polynomials is forgetting to distribute the negative sign. Remember to distribute the negative sign to each term inside the parentheses. Another mistake is forgetting to combine like terms. Make sure to combine any terms that have the same variable and exponent.

3. Can you give an example of expanding a polynomial with more than two terms?

Yes, for example, to expand (3x+5)(2x^2+4x-1), you would multiply each term in the first parentheses by each term in the second parentheses. This would result in 6x^3+12x^2-3x+10x^2+20x-5. Then, you would combine like terms to get the final answer of 6x^3+22x^2+17x-5.

4. How do I know when a polynomial is fully expanded?

A polynomial is fully expanded when there are no more parentheses and all like terms have been combined. This means that there should be no more terms with the same variable and exponent. If there are still parentheses or like terms, then the polynomial is not fully expanded.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tips for expanding polynomials?

Yes, there are a few tips to make expanding polynomials easier. One tip is to remember the FOIL method, which stands for First, Outer, Inner, Last. This method can help you remember which terms to multiply first. Another tip is to always double check your work and make sure you have distributed the negative sign and combined like terms correctly. Lastly, practice makes perfect, so the more you practice expanding polynomials, the easier it will become!