Expansion for Tan x about Pi/2

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the Taylor series for tan x about pi/2 and determining the order of a pole for a function. The method of taking the Taylor expansion of (pi/2-x)tan(x) does not work, but finding the series for sin and cos and performing formal division is a possible solution. Another method is to evaluate the limit of (x-h)^nf(x) as x approaches h, where h is the point of the pole. This can be used to determine the order of the pole.
ghotra
Is there an "prettier" way to obtain a taylor series for tan x about pi/2? Currently, I expand sin and cos and do polynomial long division. The typical application of the formula doesn't seem to work because of the singularity about pi/2.

Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
tan x does not exist, as you say, at pi/2. Therefore it can't be "analytic" at pi/2 and does not have a Taylor series at pi/2!

Hmm...

Sorry perhaps I should have spoken correctly.

How do I find the series expansion of tan x about pi/2?

Mathematica input "Series[Tan[x],{x,Pi/2,3}]" gives:

[tex]
-\frac{1}{x-\pi/2} + \frac{1}{3}\left(x - \frac{\pi}{2}\right) + \frac{1}{45}\left(x - \pi/2\right)^3 + \cdots
[/itex]

Again, I can obtain this series if I write sin and cos as a Taylor series about pi/2 and perform the corresponding long division. I am looking for a "prettier" way of obtaining this series.

Why am I doing this? I am trying to find the residue of tan z about pi/2.

Additional Question

When I see a function: tan z

How can determine, by inspection only, what order the pole is? It is simple to do for polynomials.

This particular example would be enlightening...I had to find the series to determine the order of the pole.

For something like 1/(1-cos z) I think of the series expansion of cos z about 0 and know that the 1 will cancel...so my first term, when I do the division, will be z^{-2}. Thus, I know this is a second order pole. Is this _the_ method for determining the order of a pole, or is there a better way?

Do a Taylor expansion of (pi/2-x)tan(x).

For f(x) having a pole at x=h, just evaluate the limit with x going to h of (x-h)^n f(x). If there is no limit for any n, it is an essential singularity. If there is no limit for all n<N, and the limit is zero for n>N, then the order of the pole is N.

You mention taking the Taylor expansion of (z-pi/2)tan(z). I assume you want me to expand about the point pi/2. Even so, this does not take away the complication. The first non-zero term is:

[tex]
\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}z}\left[(z-\pi/2)\tan z \right]_{z=\pi/2} (z-\pi/2)
[/tex]

But, when I take the derivative I will get a [itex]\sec^2 z[/itex]...I cannot evaluate that at pi/2. This method does not work. Please correct me if I have misunderstood.

Thanks.

Last edited:
ghotra said:
You mention taking the Taylor expansion of (z-pi/2)tan(z). I assume you want me to expand about the point pi/2. Even so, this does not take away the complication. The first non-zero term is:

[tex]
\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}z}\left[(z-\pi/2)\tan z \right]_{z=\pi/2} (z-\pi/2)
[/tex]

But, when I take the derivative I will get a [itex]\sec^2 z[/itex]...I cannot evaluate that at pi/2. This method does not work. Please correct me if I have misunderstood.

Thanks.
you need to interpet z=pi/2 as a limit z->pi/2
It is probably easier to find series for sin and cos and do formal division of series.

ghotra said:
But, when I take the derivative I will get a [itex]\sec^2 z[/itex]...I cannot evaluate that at pi/2. This method does not work.
But the sec^2 is multiplied by x-pi/2, so if e=x-pi/2, it converges to 1/e as e->0. The other term is tan(x), which converges to -1/e. The two cancel, so the limit is zero. Now go to the second derivative. It's messy, and you have to use tricks like l'Hopital's rules, but still better than dividing two infinite series.

1. What is the expansion for Tan x about Pi/2?

The expansion for Tan x about Pi/2 is 1 + (x-Pi/2) + (x-Pi/2)^3/3 + (x-Pi/2)^5/15 + (x-Pi/2)^7/315 + ... This expansion is also known as the Maclaurin series or Taylor series for Tan x.

2. How is this expansion derived?

This expansion is derived using the Taylor series formula, which states that any function can be approximated by a polynomial using its derivatives at a specific point. In this case, the point is Pi/2 and the derivatives of Tan x are used to construct the expansion.

3. What is the significance of expanding Tan x about Pi/2?

Expanding Tan x about Pi/2 allows us to approximate the value of Tan x for any angle, not just those within the range of -Pi/2 to Pi/2. This is useful in various mathematical and scientific calculations.

4. How accurate is this expansion?

The accuracy of this expansion depends on the number of terms used. The more terms used, the more accurate the approximation will be. However, since Tan x is a periodic function, the accuracy may decrease as the angle increases or decreases from Pi/2.

5. Can this expansion be used for other trigonometric functions?

Yes, this expansion can be used for other trigonometric functions such as Sin x and Cos x by simply replacing Tan x with the desired function in the expansion formula. However, the derivatives used in the expansion will differ for each function.