1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expansion in a solid rod

1. Jul 15, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    the difference in length between an aluminium rod and a copper rof at 0 degreeC is 2cm. If they have the same difference in length at any temperature difference, what are the length of the 2 rods at 0 degreeC.?
    Al - expansivity = 20*10^-4 K^-1
    Cu- expansivity= 15*10^-6 K^-1
    2. Relevant equations
    alpha inversely proportional to the initial length

3. The attempt at a solution
    i divided the expansivities of the two rods and made it equal to the ratio of theinitial lengths of the rods and got the length of the Al rod as 6 cm and the Cu rod as 8 cm. Which is the answer the school teacher said is correct. I can't understand why it can't be the other way around.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2015 #2

Suraj M

Gold Member

Think of it like this, if these two rods should have the same difference in lengths then the change in length has to be same, and hence you get
    Now which material has the higher alpha? knowing that you can judge which should be shorter and which should be longer.
    If not why don't you provide your calculations, it'll be easier to explain it to you or rather you'll figure it out yourself.

4. Jul 15, 2015 #3
    okay.. Now I understand. Since Al has the higher alpha it should have the lower initial length. Thank you very much!!

5. Jul 15, 2015 #4
    Please proofread correct your expansivities (or as we yanks say, coefficients of expansion).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted