1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expansion in spherical harmonics

1. Nov 24, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I want to expand 1+sin(phi)sin(theta) in the spherical harmonics. I am not sure if this will be an infinite series or not? If it were infinite that would seem rather difficult because the spherical harmonics get really complicated when l > 3. Also, all of the sine terms in the spherical harmonics are imaginary, so how is this possible?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2007 #2

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

what have you tried so far?

a hint is tho rewrite [tex] e^{i \phi} [/tex] as [tex] \cos \phi + i \sin \phi [/tex]

And then you can get rid of the [tex] i [/tex] by doing a linear combination of two spherical harmonics with same [tex] l [/tex] but different [tex] m [/tex].

The series will be finite, it will contain 3 different [tex] Y_{l,m} [/tex]

Now go ahead and try

4. Nov 25, 2007 #3
    OK. We can get take care of the constant term with Y0,0. For the other term I tried Y2,2 and Y2,1 but that does not get rid of the i. Are you saying I can find two spherical harmonics with exactly the same imaginary term up to a constant? Don't each of the spherical harmonics with the same l have different imaginary parts?
    Do I need to use negative m values?

5. Nov 25, 2007 #4

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

why try l = 2 first?.. why not l = 1?..

6. Nov 25, 2007 #5
    Because Y1,0 does not have an imaginary part, it could not possibly cancel with the imaginary part of Y1,1.

7. Nov 26, 2007 #6

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Take a look again at the l = 1 spherical harmonics. For each l, you have 2l + 1 spherical harmonics.

Spherical harmonics with l = 2 have sin(theta)^2 ; so can IMPOSSIBLE do anything with those. Spherical harmonics with l = 1 have sin(theta); so I think it is quite obvious..

Last edited: Nov 26, 2007
  8. Nov 26, 2007 #7
    How stupid of me! I see now. Thanks.

9. Nov 28, 2007 #8

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The answer will be:

[tex] 1 + \sin \theta \sin \phi = \sqrt{4\pi} + \sqrt{\frac{2\pi}{3}}i \cdot (Y_{1,+1} + Y_{1,-1}) [/tex]

If i did it correct, you got the same?

[edited]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2007
  10. Nov 28, 2007 #9
    I got
    [tex] 1 + \sin \theta \sin \phi = \sqrt{4\pi} + \sqrt{\frac{2\pi}{3}}i \cdot (Y_{1,+1} + Y_{1,-1}) [/tex]

11. Nov 28, 2007 #10

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

yes that is correct, because I had i in the denominator on my papers, but wrote wrong here in TeX. Good job!

12. Dec 5, 2007 #11
    I could see that one, but there's something silly I'm missing :(

How would I expand
    sin(theta)?

To me it seems only Y^0_1 has the right order, but its a cos(theta) that I cannot convert?!

13. Dec 5, 2007 #12

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

silly? now are you asking just for curiosity or is it homework-related?

14. Dec 5, 2007 #13
    Well, its homework. But given by myself.
    I was wondering about this splitting of cubic symmetry along the 3 fold diagonal axis. It splits into 2+2+1 energylevels, but the basis system is is along the diagonal and not the z axis anymore so I was trying to project
    (3cos^2(theta+45°)-1)*exp(-i*(psi+45°))
    back into the usual system.
    But now I'm stuck with it. Maybe it's been a hard day today. Just can't see what I'm doing wrong :(

15. Dec 5, 2007 #14

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I dont know either. Try posting the whole problem in its entire lenght in a new thread. Showing some of the relations you know of and your attempt to solve it. Then someone might be able to help you =)

Btw, I just think you can write [tex] \sin ^2\theta = 1 - \cos ^2\theta [/tex] and take it from there.

16. Dec 5, 2007 #15
    OK. Maybe its something more fundamental.
    I can switch between sin^2(a) and cos^2(a), but not to sin(a)cos(a)
    But I think I know all trigonometric relations. Yesterday I derived for fun:
    sin(a+b+c+d)/cos(a)/cos/(b)/cos(c)/cos(d)=tan(a)+tan(b)+tan(c)+tan(d)+tan(a)tan(b)tan(c)tan(d)(1/tan(a)+1/tan(b)+1/tan(c)+1/tan(d))
    Its pretty useless but nice.

17. Dec 5, 2007 #16

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I was rather thinking of

[tex] \sin ^2\theta = 1 - \cos ^2\theta [/tex]

[tex] \sin \theta = \sqrt{4\pi Y_{0,0}^2-\frac{4\pi }{3}Y_{1,0}^2} [/tex]

18. Dec 5, 2007 #17
    Yes, OK. But thats not linear in the spherical harmonics.
    Mr Wiki Pedia says
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spherical_harmonics
    one can expand linearly. There is also an equation for the coefficients. I'm not in the state of doing integrals now, but I suspect I get zero for all of them.

19. Dec 5, 2007 #18

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

no ofcourse its not a linear expansion.

You should in principle be able to expand ANY angular function as a combination of spherical harms-

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?