Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expansion Loops in Pipework

1. Aug 4, 2011 #1
    I am working on a system that requires expansion loops. I have located formulae on engineering toolbox.com and the spirax sarco website for determining the size of the loops required. So a 2m wide loop needs to be 4m tall, and I need one every 17m, roughly.

What I struggling to get my head around is if I am stepping my pipe down a hill, what size and how often do I need a step to negate the requirement for expansion loops altogether. For some reason my mind can't piece this together. Does anybody have a view on the relationship?

My other question is, my aforementioned references, whilst useful, are hardly rock solid. Does anybody have a suggestion for references with a more defined foundation?

All ideas appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2011 #2
    The formulas in Spirax Sarco are useful but very conservative.

A 90 deg step down a hill will not be as affective as a loop of course.

I am fortunate I have access to the Caesar pipe stress software for these things.

What is your operating temperature.

4. Aug 11, 2011 #3
    From 15 to ca. 300 degC. I think there is about 30 com expansion in 50 m. The question is how many loops of what size do I need.

I keep getting a 4m high by 2m wide loop (twice), which intuitively seems massive to me, or a number of smaller ones.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook