1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expansion of a Thermometer

1. Nov 24, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    (a) The tube of a mercury thermometer (made of Pyrex glass) has an inside diameter of 0.140 mm. The bulb has a volume of 0.275 cm3. How far will the thread of mercury move when the temperature changes from 10.5 degrees Celsius to 33.0 degrees Celsius?

(b) Determine a formula for the change in length of the mercury column in terms of relevant variables. Ignore tube volume compared to bulb volume.

αPYREX = 3 × 10-6 (Degrees Celsius)-1
    βPYREX = 9 × 10-6 (Degrees Celsius)-1
    βMERCURY = 180 × 10-6 (Degrees Celsius)-1

2. Relevant equations
    (I) ∆V = β(V0)∆T
    (II) ∆L = α(L0)∆T

3. The attempt at a solution
    I calculated the change in the volume of the bulb via equation I, but I am unsure where to head from here. Without knowing the height of the mercury within the thermometer (save for the temperature intervals), I am unsure of how to find the change in volume of the tube or the change in volume of the mercury itself. Any hints?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted