Is Something Missing in the Expansion of Our Flat Universe?

In summary: This gives no math other than the definition of ##\rho_c##. Can you show me a source that says "just halt its expansion but only after an infinite time" and gives the math that supports that? "Source" means "textbook or peer-reviewed paper"; you need to be looking at those to get a proper understanding of this issue.I have looked for a source for this and I cannot find one. I am reposting my question so that someone who may know where this information comes from can answer it.I have looked for a source for this and I cannot find one. I am reposting my question so that someone who may know where this information comes from can answer
Apashanka
From friedmann equation
IMG_20190217_211811.jpg

And
IMG_20190217_211847.jpg
For a flat universe with k=0 and ρ=ρc ,da/dt becomes undefined and d2a/dt2 becomes 0
But for the present time we know that our universe is flat and expanding with a acceleration (q -ve) ,
Therefore is it here something I am missing??

Attachments

• IMG_20190217_211811.jpg
    IMG_20190217_211811.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 791
  • IMG_20190217_211847.jpg
    IMG_20190217_211847.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 726
Space news on Phys.org
Hi,

Precisely ## k ## refers to the spatial curvature of our Universe. Actually ## k \neq 0 ## but It is really close to ##0##.
$$
\begin{cases}
k > 0 \quad \text{closed "spherical" universe} \\
k = 0 \quad \text{flat universe} \\
k < 0 \quad \text{open "hyperbolic" universe}
\end{cases}
$$
The set of Universe with ## k = 0## is a ##\textbf{null set}##, then the probability of having such Universes is equal to zero. It is not experimentally meaningful to find ##k## precisely ##0##, there is always an error bar.

Usually in Friedman equation you can neglect the spatial curvature, but it does not mean that it is precisely ##0##

Apashanka said:
From friedmann equation

Where are you getting this from?

addaF said:
The set of Universe with k=0 k = 0 is a null set\textbf{null set}, then the probability of having such Universes is equal to zero.

This is true as a matter of actual measurements (we can never measure ##k## to be exactly 0), but irrelevant to the question the OP is asking, because he is claiming that a theoretical model with ##k = 0## is somehow inconsistent. That can be shown to be wrong without considering the measurement aspect at all.

addaF said:
is a null setnull set\textbf{null set}, then the probability of having such Universes is equal to zero
This is not necessarily true. It is only true if you assume that the probability distribution for k is everywhere finite. It is perfectly fine in probability theory to have probability distributions where the cdf is not continuous, ie, with particular points having a non-zero probability. The set k=0 is null in the standard measure on the real numbers, but that in itself means very little.

Orodruin said:
This is not necessarily true. It is only true if you assume that the probability distribution for k is everywhere finite. It is perfectly fine in probability theory to have probability distributions where the cdf is not continuous, ie, with particular points having a non-zero probability. The set k=0 is null in the standard measure on the real numbers, but that in itself means very little.
Sorry I am not in a position to text right now ,I am reposting my question
Screenshot_20190218-013029~2.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190218-013029~2.png
    Screenshot_20190218-013029~2.png
    16.7 KB · Views: 540
Apashanka said:
I am reposting my question

My response is still the same: where are you getting this from?

PeterDonis said:
My response is still the same: where are you getting this from?
From the first Einstein field equation for FRW metric
3H2+3k/a2=8πGρ,little simplification gives the result posted in #6
Where ρc is 3H2/8πG(critical density)
(From R00-1/2Rg00)=8πGT00

Apashanka said:
From the first Einstein field equation for FRW metric
3H2+3k/a2=8πGρ,little simplification gives the result posted in #6

Have you considered the possibility that what your "little simplification" implies is not that ##\dot{a} = \infty## for ##\rho = \rho_c## and ##k = \pm 1##, but that ##k = \pm 1## is not possible if ##\rho = \rho_c##?

PeterDonis said:
Have you considered the possibility that what your "little simplification" implies is not that ##\dot{a} = \infty## for ##\rho = \rho_c## and ##k = \pm 1##, but that ##k = \pm 1## is not possible if ##\rho = \rho_c##?
So why is the word 'HALT EXPANSION AFTER INFINITE TIME ' is associated with critical density ??
Is it something related to this
IMG_20190218_101508.jpg

The first one for expansion with acceleration and the second one with linear expansion .
Implies after the time at which ρ=ρc , a is not defined ,is it so??
(It is only for k=+-1,k=0 will allow expansion forever)

Attachments

• IMG_20190218_101508.jpg
    IMG_20190218_101508.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 495
Last edited:
Apashanka said:
So why is the word 'HALT EXPANSION AFTER INFINITE TIME ' is associated with critical density ??

Please give a specific reference where you are getting all this from. We can't comment on vague statements with no source.

Apashanka said:
Implies after the time at which ρ=ρc , a is not defined ,is it so??

I've already given you a strong hint in post #9. You need to go back and re-check the math. It doesn't mean what you think it means.

Apashanka said:

This gives no math other than the definition of ##\rho_c##. Can you show me a source that says "just halt its expansion but only after an infinite time" and gives the math that supports that? "Source" means "textbook or peer-reviewed paper"; you need to be looking at those to get a proper understanding of this issue.

(Hint: if you find such a source, you will find that the math it gives only allows ##k = 0## if ##\rho = \rho_c##.)

PeterDonis said:
This gives no math other than the definition of ##\rho_c##. Can you show me a source that says "just halt its expansion but only after an infinite time" and gives the math that supports that? "Source" means "textbook or peer-reviewed paper"; you need to be looking at those to get a proper understanding of this issue.

(Hint: if you find such a source, you will find that the math it gives only allows ##k = 0## if ##\rho = \rho_c##.)
Is it that for k=+-1 ,at the time of ρ=ρc ,a(t) at that time can't be defined ,that's why it is not allowed ??
But for k=0 ,it will allow expansion or contraction (linear or accelerated) forever...

As you have been told repeatedly, you cannot have ##\rho = \rho_c## without having ##k= 0## or vice versa. The curvature is directly dependent on the energy content relative to the expansion rate.

There is no such thing as ”the time of ##\rho = \rho_c##”. It is either satisfied at all times or it is never satisfied.

Orodruin said:
There is no such thing as ”the time of ρ=ρcρ=ρc\rho = \rho_c”. It is either satisfied at all times or it is never satisfied.
Ok if ρ=ρc is satisfied for all times , then for k=+-1 , the scale factor can't be defined...and no question of expansion or contraction or static.
Is it??

Apashanka said:
Ok if ρ=ρc is satisfied for all times , then for k=+-1 , the scale factor can't be defined...and no question of expansion or contraction or static.
Is it??
Really? You are not reading. Reread the statement. You cannot have ##k = \pm 1## when ##\rho = \rho_c## because then ##k = 0## by definition.

The OP question has been answered. Thread closed.

1. What is the expansion of the flat universe?

The expansion of the flat universe is a scientific theory that describes the continuous increase in the distance between galaxies and other celestial objects. This expansion is believed to have started with the Big Bang and is still ongoing.

2. How do we know that the universe is expanding?

Scientists have observed that the light from distant galaxies appears to be stretched, or redshifted. This indicates that the galaxies are moving away from us, and the further the galaxy is, the greater the redshift. This is evidence of the expansion of the universe.

3. Is the expansion of the flat universe accelerating or decelerating?

Recent studies have shown that the expansion of the flat universe is actually accelerating. This is believed to be due to the presence of dark energy, a mysterious force that is pushing galaxies apart at an increasing rate.

4. Will the expansion of the flat universe ever stop?

Based on current observations and theories, it is believed that the expansion of the flat universe will continue indefinitely. However, the rate of expansion may change over time depending on the amount of dark energy present.

5. How does the expansion of the flat universe affect our understanding of the universe?

The expansion of the flat universe has greatly influenced our understanding of the universe. It has helped us to develop the Big Bang theory, which is the most widely accepted explanation for the origin of the universe. It has also led to the discovery of dark energy and dark matter, which make up the majority of the universe's mass and energy.