Expansion of gas into cylinder

In summary: The gas is compressing the gas in Q as it expands into Q. But once the gas is uniformly distributed in Q, there is no further change in the properties of the gas. In summary, the conversation discusses the transfer of an ideal monatomic gas from cylinder P to cylinder Q through a capillary. The final temperature of the gas in cylinder Q is determined using the principles of thermodynamics, including the thermodynamic definition of work and the internal energy of a monatomic gas. The pressure in cylinder P is maintained at 1 bar by a moveable piston and the final pressure in Q is undefined until the gas reaches thermal equilibrium. This is due to the irreversible process of gas expansion and the need for the gas to be uniformly
CAF123
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Consider two rigid cylinders, P and Q, with respective volumes VP and VQ with VP << VQ. They are connected by a capillary. Initially cylinder Q is empty and cylinder P contains an ideal monatomic gas at 300K and pressure 1 bar. A moveable piston in P is used to maintain the pressure in P at 1 bar completely expelling all the gas into Q through the capillary. The system is thermally isolated and the walls/capillary have negligible heat capacity. What is the final temperature of the gas once it has reached thermal equilibrium in Q?

Homework Equations

Thermodynamic definition of work: Work done by piston W = -PdV
Internal energy of monatomic gas: U = (3/2)nRT

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the pressure in the cylinder P is unchanged, there is no pressure difference across the piston and so the external pressure supplied by the piston is equal to 1 bar. The piston does work on the n moles of gas moving them into the cylinder Q. Since the system is thermally isolated and the walls have negligible heat capacity, this work goes into increasing the internal energy of the gas. So write -Pi(VQ-VP) = (3/2)nR(TQ-TP), where the system is the n moles of gas originally in P ending up in Q.

The term VQ-VP ≈ VQ by the question so sub this in, where VQ = nRTQ/Pi. Rearranging, I get that TQ = (3/5)TP, but I don't think this makes sense. I argued that the final pressure inside Q is the same as in P since if it wasn't the gas would flow back into P if it was greater and it wouldn't reach thermal equilibrium. So Pf = Pi of the n moles, and from ideal gas law, if V is increased, then T must go up to keep P constant.

Many thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, CAF123.

Your expression for the work done by the piston in P doesn't seem correct to me. What is the volume swept out by the piston by the time all the gas has left P?

Once all the gas is in Q, you can assume that the gas remains in Q because the piston in P will block the gas from returning to P. But that doesn't mean that the pressure in Q will equal the initial pressure in P.

Hi TSny,
TSny said:
Your expression for the work done by the piston in P doesn't seem correct to me. What is the volume swept out by the piston by the time all the gas has left P?
The piston acts over a finite volume VP, so the work it does is PiVP = nRTP and I end up with TQ=(5/3)T_P.
Is that better and if so, is my argument about the piston applying the external pressure P_i correct?

Last edited:
That looks good to me. Yes, the piston in P maintains a constant pressure of 1 bar inside P as the gas moves from P to Q. The pressure in Q is undefined until the gas settles down to thermal equilibrium in Q.

TSny said:
The pressure in Q is undefined until the gas settles down to thermal equilibrium in Q.
Is that because the expansion of a portion of n moles of gas into Q is an irreversible process and only until the expansion has stopped, when all n moles are in Q and spread out uniformly, can we again define thermodynamic variables.

Yes. I think that's right.

Likes 1 person

1. What is the principle behind the expansion of gas into a cylinder?

The expansion of gas into a cylinder is based on the principle of Boyle's Law, which states that the volume of a gas is inversely proportional to its pressure at a constant temperature. This means that as the gas is compressed into a smaller volume, its pressure increases, and vice versa.

2. How does the expansion of gas into a cylinder affect the temperature?

According to the ideal gas law, as the volume of a gas increases, its temperature also increases. This is because the gas molecules have more space to move around, resulting in an increase in kinetic energy and thus a rise in temperature.

3. What factors can influence the expansion of gas into a cylinder?

The expansion of gas into a cylinder can be influenced by several factors, including the type of gas, temperature, pressure, and volume of the cylinder. Different gases have different expansion rates, and changes in temperature and pressure can affect the volume of gas that can be expanded into the cylinder.

4. How is the expansion of gas into a cylinder measured?

The expansion of gas into a cylinder can be measured using various tools such as a manometer or a pressure gauge. These instruments can measure the pressure of the gas inside the cylinder, which can then be used to calculate the volume of gas that has expanded into the cylinder.

5. What are the practical applications of the expansion of gas into a cylinder?

The expansion of gas into a cylinder has numerous practical applications, including in engines, refrigeration systems, and air compressors. It is also essential in various industrial processes, such as in the production of plastics and chemicals. Additionally, the expansion of gas into a cylinder is used in everyday household items, such as aerosol cans and air mattresses.