Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expansion of the universe?

1. Jan 18, 2014 #1
    Hello, i've been looking round trying to find a history of records, showing the speed of which the universe is expanding? Would this just be the hubbles constant? If so I'm looking for past hubble constant values. Is there an archive for this? or is there a way to work past hubble constant's to an exacte year (not right on the dot, but some where near that specific time area)?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

We have a calculator that can do this.
    Knowing past Hubble constant values is sufficient, right, but I think the scale factor is a better value (it directly shows how large the universe was compared to today).

4. Jan 19, 2014 #3

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The expansion history of the universe is an unknown asserted on not altogether reliable assumptions. It remains a controversial issue in science, IMO. We do, however, have some good guesses as noted by mfb.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  5. Jan 19, 2014 #4

Chalnoth

Science Advisor

The expansion history of the universe is measured. Those measurements aren't all that precise as of now, but I think calling it an "unknown" is significantly understating our understanding of the expansion rate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook