Why Do Substances Expand On Heating? Molecular Explanation

In summary, substances expand on heating due to the increase in temperature causing the distance between particles to increase, based on the potential energy curve. This is a result of the electromagnetic attraction between atoms and the strong repulsive force at short distances. The shape of the potential energy curve determines the average atomic spacing with increasing energy.
Pranav Jha
Why do substances expand on heating? Please give an understandable molecular account of the process of expansion.

Science news on Phys.org
Mapes said:

I don't think I understand the concept. The potential curve got me thinking but still couldn't convince me about the thermal expansion. The book says that when temperature increases, the distance between the particles increases based on the PE curve. I think that was just reiterating the original question. So, I need your help to interpret the explanation in the book.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you asking why the pair potential has the certain shape so that average atomic separation increases with increasing energy? Fundamentally, it's because atoms are electromagnetically attracted to each other, but a very strong repulsive force (arising from Pauli exclusion) acts at short distances. The sum of these two forces creates an asymmetric energy well that determines average atomic spacing.

Substances expand on heating due to the increased kinetic energy of their molecules. At higher temperatures, the molecules have more energy and move faster, causing them to vibrate and collide with each other more frequently and with greater force.

As a result, the intermolecular forces holding the molecules together weaken, allowing them to move further apart. This increase in molecular spacing leads to an overall expansion of the substance.

Additionally, the increased energy also causes the molecules to take up more space themselves. This is because the molecules start to rotate and vibrate more vigorously, taking up more space in their immediate surroundings.

In liquids and gases, the expansion is even more noticeable as the molecules are already in constant motion, and the increased energy further accelerates their movement, causing the substance to expand in all directions.

In solids, the expansion is not as obvious, but it still occurs on a molecular level. As the molecules vibrate more, they push against each other and the bonds between them, causing the solid to expand.

In summary, substances expand on heating due to the increased molecular motion and spacing caused by the higher kinetic energy of the molecules. This molecular explanation helps us understand the process of expansion and its effects on different states of matter.

1. What is the molecular explanation for why substances expand on heating?

When a substance is heated, its molecules gain kinetic energy and begin to vibrate faster. This increased movement causes the molecules to push against each other, resulting in an expansion of the substance.

2. Why do different substances expand at different rates when heated?

The rate of expansion depends on the strength of intermolecular forces within the substance. Substances with weaker intermolecular forces, such as gases, expand more significantly when heated compared to substances with stronger intermolecular forces, such as solids.

3. Can substances also expand when cooled?

Yes, substances can also expand when cooled. This occurs when the molecules lose kinetic energy and slow down, causing them to contract and decrease in volume.

4. How does the expansion of substances relate to the temperature?

As the temperature of a substance increases, the expansion also increases. This is because the increased kinetic energy of the molecules results in more movement and therefore a larger expansion.

5. Is the expansion of substances reversible?

In most cases, the expansion of substances is reversible. When the temperature is decreased, the molecules lose kinetic energy and return to their original positions, causing the substance to contract. However, in some cases, irreversible changes may occur, such as in the case of thermal expansion of materials.