Expansions and order of contact

• Thread starter eclayj
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Contact
In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of an expansion in powers of x and the process of finding the expansion for a given function using Mathematica. The question asks for the order of contact between the function e-xCos[x] and the polynomial 1 - x + (x3)/3 - (x4)/6 + (x5)/5 at x = 0. The answer is found to be 4, which is determined by the highest degree term in the expansion being x^4, rather than x^5 as initially thought. The conversation also touches on the concept of tangent planes and making careless errors in calculations.
eclayj
I am asking my mentor for my class about this question, but unfortunately the answers I get from her often take forever and do not always clear things up for me, so I hope someone out there in Physics Forum has a good way of explaining this to me. Here goes...

The question has some Mathematica input (Normal[Series] command) and output for the function f(x) = e -xCos(x). Then the question is asked "Mathematica is trying to tell you that, at x = 0, e-x Cos[x] and 1 - x + (x3)/3 - (x4)/6 + (x5)/5 have order of contact ____?"

Now to answer, I went back to what we learned about the definition of an expansion in powers of x was. This definition from the materials is: Given a function f[x], the expansion of f[x] in powers of x is: a[0] + a[1]x + a2[x]2 + ... + a[k]xk, where the numbers a[0], a[1], a[2], ..., a[k] are chosen such that for every positive integer m, the function f[x] and the polynomial a[0] + a[1]x + a[2]x2 + ... + a[m]xm have order of contact m at x = 0.

From this definition, I believed the answer to the question would be "5" because we see that in the expansion given, we have a 5th degree polynomial. Instead, the answer was 4. Can you please explain where my reasoning was faulty, and why the actual answer is 4? My guess is that the (x5)/5 term is actually xm+1making it a 5th degree polynomial where m = 4. Is that correct? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Thank you for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I plugged in

[tex]e^{-x}\cos(x)-[1-x+x^3/3-x^4/6+x^5/5][/tex]

into wolfram alpha to find the taylor expansion, it was

[tex]-x^5/6-x^7/630+x^8/2520-x^9/22680+O(x^{11})[/tex]

This tells me that

[tex]e^{-x}\cos(x)=1-x+x^3/3-x^4/6+x^5/30+O(x^7)[/tex]

So they agree up to fourth order, but not to fifth order.

For instance, since the first order terms are the same, their tangent planes are the same, that is, the contact is at least of order 1.

Last edited:
I see. I didn't. At catch that the expansions were different. I hate when I make careless errors. Thanks

1. What is the order of contact in an expansion?

The order of contact in an expansion refers to the number of points of contact between two surfaces. It can range from zero (no contact) to infinite (full contact).

2. What is the significance of the order of contact in an expansion?

The order of contact determines the level of precision and accuracy in an expansion. A higher order of contact means a more accurate representation of the true shape of the surfaces being expanded.

3. How is the order of contact determined in an expansion?

The order of contact is determined by the degree of the polynomial used in the expansion. A polynomial of degree n will have an order of contact of n-1.

4. Can the order of contact be changed in an expansion?

Yes, the order of contact can be changed by using a different degree polynomial or by adding more terms to the expansion. However, this may also affect the convergence and accuracy of the expansion.

5. What is the role of expansions in scientific research?

Expansions are commonly used in scientific research to approximate complex functions or data. They provide a mathematical tool to simplify calculations and make predictions with a certain level of accuracy.