Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expectation homework help

1. Apr 12, 2010 #1
    Hi I'm going through some presentation material and i cant understand how the following has been derived

[tex]\sum^{n}_{j=1} \mathbb{E}[ ln(1 +K_{j})] = n \mathbb{E}[ln(1+K_{1})] [/tex]

Could someone point me in the right direction on why this makes sense ?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2010 #2

Science Advisor

Re: expectation

It only makes sense if all Kj have the same distribution, although it could hold (by accident) in more general situations.
  4. Apr 14, 2010 #3

ok suppose all [tex]K_{j}[/tex] have exactly the same distribution, I still can see why it makes sense. why does the following hold [tex]\sum^{n}_{j=1} \mathbb{E}[ ln(1 +K_{j})] = n \mathbb{E}[ln(1+K_{1})] [/tex]

maybe there is something trivial here that i'm missing but i still cant see it
  5. Apr 14, 2010 #4

Homework Helper

If all the [itex] K_j [/itex] have the same distribution, so do all of the [itex] \ln (1+K_j)[/tex], and this common distribution is the same as that of [itex] \ln(1+K_1)[/itex].

If they have the same distribution, and if the expectations exist, then every term in the first sum is the same.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook