Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expectation homework help

1. Apr 12, 2010 #1
    Hi I'm going through some presentation material and i cant understand how the following has been derived

[tex]\sum^{n}_{j=1} \mathbb{E}[ ln(1 +K_{j})] = n \mathbb{E}[ln(1+K_{1})] [/tex]

Could someone point me in the right direction on why this makes sense ?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2010 #2

mathman

Science Advisor

Re: expectation

It only makes sense if all Kj have the same distribution, although it could hold (by accident) in more general situations.

4. Apr 14, 2010 #3

ok suppose all [tex]K_{j}[/tex] have exactly the same distribution, I still can see why it makes sense. why does the following hold [tex]\sum^{n}_{j=1} \mathbb{E}[ ln(1 +K_{j})] = n \mathbb{E}[ln(1+K_{1})] [/tex]

maybe there is something trivial here that i'm missing but i still cant see it

5. Apr 14, 2010 #4

statdad

Homework Helper

If all the [itex] K_j [/itex] have the same distribution, so do all of the [itex] \ln (1+K_j)[/tex], and this common distribution is the same as that of [itex] \ln(1+K_1)[/itex].

If they have the same distribution, and if the expectations exist, then every term in the first sum is the same.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook