Expectation of a Fraction of Gaussian Hypergeometric Functions

In summary: Sorry for the confusion.In summary, the fraction of Gauss hypergeometric functions is expressed as a sum of terms corresponding to the Pochhammer symbol. The notation is similar to that of a generalized hypergeometric series, but it is unclear to me how it is to be parsed. @Stephen Tashi may be able to provide more information.
rafgger
TL;DR Summary
In this question I am seeking an expression for the fraction of particular hypergeometric functions and more, their expectation.
I am looking for the expectation of a fraction of Gauss hypergeometric functions.

$$E_X\left[\frac{{}_2F_1\left(\begin{matrix}x+a+1\\x+a+1\end{matrix},a+1,c\right)}{{}_2F_1\left(\begin{matrix}x+a\\x+a\end{matrix},a,c\right)}\right]=?$$

Are there any identities that could be used to simplify or express the fraction?Or wouldn't an idea, how to proceed?

Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
The term "expectation" usually refers to a random variable. What is the variable here?

mathman said:
The term "expectation" usually refers to a random variable. What is the variable here?
The random variable is x. Even, if there would be an idea, how to simplify the fraction. Would be most appreciated.

Sorry I have no idea. I have never worked with these functions.

AFAIK there are many identities and the one you may think relevant is probably in:

see: Erdélyi, Arthur; Magnus, Wilhelm; Oberhettinger, Fritz & Tricomi, Francesco G. (1953). Higher transcendental functions (PDF). Vol. I. New York – Toronto – London: McGraw–Hill Book Company, Inc. ISBN 978-0-89874-206-0. MR 0058756.

Or the NIST handbook:
Olde Daalhuis, Adri B. (2010), "Hypergeometric function", in Olver, Frank W. J.; Lozier, Daniel M.; Boisvert, Ronald F.; Clark, Charles W. (eds.), NIST Handbook of Mathematical Functions, Cambridge University Press, ISBN 978-0-521-19225-5, MR 2723248

I can't be of much help, possibly @Stephen Tashi may know more.

rafgger said:
Summary:: In this question I am seeking an expression for the fraction of particular hypergeometric functions and more, their expectation.

I am looking for the expectation of a fraction of Gauss hypergeometric functions.

$$E_X\left[\frac{{}_2F_1\left(\begin{matrix}x+a+1\\x+a+1\end{matrix},a+1,c\right)}{{}_2F_1\left(\begin{matrix}x+a\\x+a\end{matrix},a,c\right)}\right]=?$$

Are there any identities that could be used to simplify or express the fraction?Or wouldn't an idea, how to proceed?

Thank you very much!
I'm not sure how to parse the notation. Typically, I've seen
$$_2F_1(a,b;c;x)=\sum_{k=0}^\infty \frac{(a)_k(b)_k}{(c)_k}\frac{x^k}{k!}$$
where ##(a)_k## denotes the Pochhammer symbol. The stacked notation you use is more indicative of a generalized hypergeometric series:
$$_2F_1\left(\begin{matrix}a_1\text{ } a_2\\b_1\end{matrix};x\right) =\sum_{k=0}^\infty \frac{(a_1)_k(a_2)_k}{(b_1)_k}\frac{x^k}{k!} $$
(which is the same as ##_2F_1(a_1,a_2;b;x)##). But I can't quite figure out your notation. In any case, @jim mcnamara is right. Erdelyi is a good source for hypergeometric identities; I'd add Abramowitz and Stegun to that list.

EDIT: apparently Abramowitz and Stegun has entered the digital age and is now the NIST handbook that @jim mcnamara referred to in his post.

1. What is the "Expectation of a Fraction of Gaussian Hypergeometric Functions"?

The "Expectation of a Fraction of Gaussian Hypergeometric Functions" refers to a mathematical concept that calculates the average value or expected outcome of a specific type of function called a Gaussian hypergeometric function. This function is commonly used in statistics and probability theory to model the behavior of random variables.

2. How is the expectation of a fraction of Gaussian hypergeometric functions calculated?

The expectation of a fraction of Gaussian hypergeometric functions is calculated using a specific formula that takes into account the parameters of the function, including the number of trials, successes, and the size of the sample. This formula is based on the concept of probability and can be derived using mathematical techniques.

3. What is the significance of the expectation of a fraction of Gaussian hypergeometric functions?

The expectation of a fraction of Gaussian hypergeometric functions is important in understanding the behavior of random variables and making predictions about the likelihood of certain outcomes. It is also used in statistical analysis to evaluate the performance of different models and to make decisions based on data.

4. How does the expectation of a fraction of Gaussian hypergeometric functions relate to other statistical concepts?

The expectation of a fraction of Gaussian hypergeometric functions is closely related to other statistical concepts such as mean, variance, and standard deviation. In fact, the expectation can be thought of as a type of mean or average value for a specific type of function.

5. Can the expectation of a fraction of Gaussian hypergeometric functions be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, the expectation of a fraction of Gaussian hypergeometric functions has many practical applications in various fields, including finance, engineering, and biology. It can be used to analyze data, make predictions, and solve complex problems that involve random variables and probability distributions.