Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expectation of random variable

1. Apr 18, 2007 #1
    I have two random variables X and Y, and I need to calculate E(XY). The expectation of X, E(X) = aZ, and the expectation of Y, E(Y) = bZ, where a and b are known constants and Z is a random variable.

So the question is how would I calculate E(XY)?
    I was thinking that I could do the following:
    E(XY) = E(aZ,bZ)
    => E(XY) = ab*E(ZZ)
    => E(XY) = ab*E(Z^2)

Is it correct to do this?? or how would I do it?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2007 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

E(X) can't be equal to aZ: E(X) is a number, and aZ is a random variable. Are you sure you stated the problem right?

Anyways, there generally aren't short-cuts to computing the expectation of a product of random variables.

4. Apr 19, 2007 #3
    Yes, you're right I've stated the problem wrong! I can restate in another, much easier way.

So basically I need to calculate E(XY), where E(X) = aE(Y), where the constant a is less than 1.

So any ideas on how to go about calculating E(XY)??
    Any help or directions would be great!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2007
  5. Apr 19, 2007 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can't be done with the information given.

6. Apr 19, 2007 #5
    What more information would I need to calculate this?
    For example, I know what the E(Y) and Var(Y) is going to be, I also know what the constant a is going to be.
    So I know what the mean and variance of X and Y are going to be and the constant a, so what more information do I need to get E(XY)?

Overall I'm trying to calculate the Cov(XY) = E(XY) - E(X)E(Y), and seeming as X and Y are dependent, shouldn't I be able to work out the covariance between them??
    I think I have all the information neccessary to get this expression, I'm probably just not supplying it to you here?

7. Apr 19, 2007 #6

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you have their distribution? You can compute E(XY) directly, rather than looking for a shortcut involving other things you can compute.

8. Apr 19, 2007 #7
    No unfortunately I'm unable to get the distribution of XY (if that's what you were talking about).
    I just have the mean and variance of X and Y to play with and the constant a.

So when you say
    Is there a general formulae for calculating E(XY) for dependent variables??
    I could only find a formulae for independent variables.

9. Apr 19, 2007 #8

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[tex]E[XY] = \sum_{a, b} a b \mathop{\mathrm{P}}(X = a \mathrm{\ and\ } Y = b)[/tex]
    (Or an integral, if appropriate)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2007
  10. Apr 19, 2007 #9
    Ok thanks for that, I'll have a look into it.

Also I was thinking maybe I could do it the following way, but I'm not sure my
    "random variable algebra" is correct:

So again suppose I need to calculate E(XY), where E(X) = aE(Y), where the constant a <= 1.
    We have E(X|Y) = aY
    => E(YX|Y) = aYY = aY^2
    => E(XY) = E(E(YX|Y)) = E(aY^2)
    => E(XY) = aE(Y^2)

Would this be correct??

11. Apr 29, 2007 #10
    You say you are given that [tex]E[X]=aE[Y][/tex]. This does not imply that [tex]E[X|Y]=aY[/tex]. As an example, suppose [tex]X\sim N(a,1)[/tex], [tex]Y\sim N(1,1)[/tex], and they are independent. Then [tex]E[X]=a=a\cdot 1=aE[Y][/tex], but [tex]E[X|Y]=E[X]=a[/tex]. Clearly, [tex]a\ne aY[/tex].

If you are given that [tex]E[X|Y]=aY[/tex], then your calculations are correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?