1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expectation of X^Y

1. Dec 11, 2003 #1
    Can anyone let me know the estimator for the expectaiion of X^Y. X and Y are iid random variables, and their expectation are E(X) and E(Y) respectively.

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2003 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm pretty sure that's not enough information.

4. Dec 11, 2003 #3
    Okay, let me put this way. Let E(X) be the expectation of random variable X, and X and Y are independent and identically distributed random variables. My question is, what is E(X^Y)? I did Talyor expansion of X^Y and concluded that, for small variances for X and Y, E(X^Y)=E(X)^E(Y).

Is this correct?
    Thank you for your help in advance.

5. Dec 11, 2003 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's (probably) true that if the distributions of X and Y are "close" to constant, then then E(X^Y)=E(X)^E(Y) is approximately true.

My gut says that small variances isn't enough, but I haven't done the calculations to be sure.

6. Dec 11, 2003 #5

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I believe it is not true. Try a simple particular case. For example assume X and Y are uniformly distributed over some interval, and work out E(XY).
    A good crazy example would use two intervals symmetrical around 0 (avoid 0 itself), then E(X)E(Y) would be 00, which would be nonsense.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?