1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expectation of XY

1. Apr 29, 2005 #1
    X~N(0,1), Y=X^2~[tex]\chi^2[/tex](1), find E(XY).

My thoughts are in the following:
    To calculate E(XY), I need to know f(x,y), since [tex]E(XY)=\int{xyf(x,y)dxdy}[/tex]. To calculate f(x,y), I need to know F(x,y), since f(x,y)=d(F(x,y)/dxdy.

[tex]F(x,y)=P(X\leq x, Y\leq y) \\
    =P(X\leq x, X^{2} \leq y)\\
    =P(X\leq x, -\sqrt{y} \leq X \leq \sqrt{y})[/tex]
    Thus,
    [tex]F(x,y) =P(-\sqrt{y} \leq X \leq x)P(x<\sqrt{y})+P(-\sqrt{y} \leq X \leq \sqrt{y})P(x > \sqrt{y})[/tex]
    Then I don't know how to calculate the four components of probabilities accordingly. Anyone gives a hand?

Thanks!
    gim :bugeye:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2005 #2
    I think you're making this too hard for yourself. x and y have 100% correlation. I think you essentially want to calculate the third moment of a normal distribution, since x*y = x^3. So find the expected value of x^3 = the third moment.

4. May 1, 2005 #3
    Thank you for your useful hint! The result following your method is E(XY)=0, then cor(X,Y)=0. In this sense X and Y are uncorrelated, but they are fully associated.
    gim

5. May 2, 2005 #4
    I am still wondering the joint distribution of X and Y. There must be a solution to that. If it is not too difficult, please give me some hints.
    Thanks!
    gim

6. May 2, 2005 #5
    f(x,y) = f(x) * f(y|x)

So, you need f(y|x). However, once you know x, you know y exactly, so
    f(y|x) = delta function(y - x^2).

So f(x,y) = f(x) * delta function(y-x^2).

I'm not sure if I've seen delta functions outside of physics, actually. Here's a writeup I found:

http://www.tutorfusion.com/eTutor/physics/e&m/1/5/1_5_dirac_delta_function.htm

If you don't want to use delta functions, I guess you could just say:

f(x,y) = f(x) when y= x^2
    = 0 otherwise

Last edited: May 2, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?