1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expectation prob. Proof

1. Apr 16, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that
    E(X) > a.P(X>a)

2. Relevant equations
    E(X) is expectation, a is a positive constant and X is the random variable.
    (Note, > should be 'greater than or equal to' but I'm not too sure how to do it)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well I can show it easy enough for X~Exp(h), but of course this is not a general proof.
    And I played around a bit with P(X>a)=1-F(a) where F is the cdf, but yeah. That's all I could really do. I just don't really get how the a factor comes in.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Take P(x) to be a normal distribution centered at 0. The E(x)=0. Yet a.P(x>a) is clearly positive for a>0. There's something wrong with the problem statement. '>=' is fine for greater than or equal to.

4. Apr 16, 2007 #3
    Sorry, X is non-negative.

5. Apr 17, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok then. Define E(X) as an integral and split the integral into the ranges 0-a and a-infinity. Drop the first integral and think about approximating the second by something smaller.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?