Expectation value of a real scalar field in p state

In summary, the conversation discusses finding <p'|φ(x)|p> for a free scalar field and the integral of <p'|φ(x)φ(x)|p> over 3d space. It is mentioned that the creation and annihilation operators should act on the vacuum state |0>, not the state |p>, and the probability amplitude for a particle to be found at position x can be calculated using the Fourier transform of the field operator φ(x). The commutation relation between the creation and annihilation operators is also mentioned as a key factor in getting a non-zero result.
inkskin
Hello,

I've been trying to find <p'|φ(x)|p> for a free scalar field. and integral of <p'|φ(x)φ(x)|p> over 3d in doing the space
In writing φ(x) as
pkr1.gif

In doing the first, I get the creation and annihilation operators acting on |p> giving |p+1> and |p-1> which are different from the bra state |p>
which results in zero.

I'm pretty sure I'm missing something

Physics news on Phys.org
, but I can't figure out what. Can anyone help?
Hello,

Thank you for your forum post. It seems like you are on the right track, but there are a few things that you may have missed.

First, when dealing with a free scalar field, the creation and annihilation operators should act on the vacuum state |0>, not the state |p>. This is because the state |p> represents a single particle with momentum p, while the vacuum state |0> represents the absence of any particles.

Second, the integral of <p'|φ(x)φ(x)|p> over 3d space should give us the probability amplitude for a particle to be found at position x. This can be calculated using the Fourier transform of the field operator φ(x), which is given by:

φ(x) = ∫ d^3p (2π)^3 √(ω_p) (a_p e^(ip·x) + a_p^† e^(-ip·x))

where a_p and a_p^† are the creation and annihilation operators, and ω_p is the energy of a particle with momentum p.

Finally, when calculating <p'|φ(x)|p>, we need to use the commutation relation between the creation and annihilation operators, which is given by:

[a_p, a_q^†] = (2π)^3 δ^(3)(p-q)

This will help you simplify the expression and get a non-zero result.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your research!

1. What is the expectation value of a real scalar field in p state?

The expectation value of a real scalar field in p state is a measure of the average value that the field would take on if measured many times in a system that is in the p state. It represents the most probable outcome of a measurement of the field in that state.

2. How is the expectation value of a real scalar field in p state calculated?

The expectation value of a real scalar field in p state is calculated by taking the inner product of the p state with the operator that represents the field. This is then divided by the inner product of the p state with itself, also known as the normalization factor.

3. What does the expectation value of a real scalar field in p state tell us about the system?

The expectation value of a real scalar field in p state provides information about the average behavior of the field in the system. It can give insight into the overall behavior of the system and how it may evolve over time.

4. How does the expectation value of a real scalar field in p state relate to other statistical measures?

The expectation value of a real scalar field in p state is related to other statistical measures, such as the mean and variance, through mathematical equations. It can also be used to calculate other measures, such as the standard deviation, which can provide additional information about the system.

5. Can the expectation value of a real scalar field in p state be measured experimentally?

Yes, the expectation value of a real scalar field in p state can be measured experimentally through the use of various instruments and techniques. However, the accuracy of the measurement may depend on the precision of the equipment and the complexity of the system being studied.