1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expectation value of aharmonic oscillator

1. Sep 12, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to find the expectation value of x of an aharmonic oscillator of a given potential:

[tex] V_{(x)} = c x^2 - g x^3 - f x^4 [/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    Two relevant equations:
    I'm using the partition function to find the expectation value

[tex]<x>= \frac { \int x Z dx}{ \int Z dx}[/tex] integrating from -inf to +inf

[tex] Z = e^{\frac {-V} {k_{b} T}} [/tex]

The professor gave us the solution of

[tex] (\frac {3 g} {4 c^2}) k_{b} T [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

So it comes down to solving this integral, which frankly, I don't have a clue how to do. I've tried factoring out x^2 and factoring the remain potential. But that didn't help with the integral. I've played with substitution, setting [tex]u = e^{-c*x^2}[/tex], but that doesn't seem to get me anywhere. I've also looked at integration by parts, but that just doesn't seem to fit.

I've also tried mathematica and google, neither of which helped, and both of which feel a bit like cheating.

note: Please forgive and feel free to correct any incorrect terms I use, I'm notoriously sloppy when it comes to proper definitions and I'm trying to tighten it up a bit.
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?