1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expectation value of an anti-Hermitian operator

1. Apr 30, 2005 #1
    Hi, could anyone tell me how one would show that the expectation value of a anti-Hermitian operator is a pure imaginary number? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I solved this problem once right on this site...(Dunno if in the QM forum,or college homework).Use the site's search engine,or google to find it...

Daniel.

4. Apr 30, 2005 #3
    Are you referring to this post: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=68937

I have trouble understanding what you wrote. Could you please explain it in detail? Thanks.

5. Apr 30, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes,post #2 of that thread.Consider an antiself-adjoint linear operator [itex] \hat{A} [/itex] for which u wish to prove that it has a spectrum made up of 0 & purely imaginary #-s...

[tex] \hat{A}|\psi\rangle=\lambda|\psi\rangle [/tex]

for an arbitrary eigenvector [itex] |\psi\rangle [/itex] corresponding to an eigenvalue [itex] \lambda[/itex]

Then,the expectation value for this eigenstate is the eigenvalue,because

[tex]\langle\hat{A}\rangle_{|\psi\rangle}=\langle\psi|\hat{A}|\psi\rangle=\lambda [/tex](1)

The matrix element involved in (1) has the property

[tex] \langle\psi|\hat{A}|\psi\rangle=\left(\langle\psi|\hat{A}^{\dagger}|\psi\rangle\right)^{*}=\left(-\lambda\right)^{*} [/tex] (2)

Equating (1) & (2),you get that

[tex]\lambda=-\lambda^{*} [/tex] (3)

which means [itex] \mbox{Re}(\lambda) =0 [/itex],Q.e.d.

Daniel.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2005
  6. May 1, 2005 #5
    In another form:

A anti hermitian => i.A is hermitian
    => eigenvalues of A= (eigenvalues of i.A)/i= -i.(real number)= imaginary number.
    QED.

Seratend.

7. May 1, 2005 #6
    Ok thanks Daniel and Seratend.

8. May 1, 2005 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

By the way, "expectation" is a noun. "Expected" is an adjective.
    The "expected value" is the "expectation".

9. May 1, 2005 #8
    I believe that used in this context, "expectation" becomes genitive, i.e. "value of an expectation". Other examples: economics textbook, price theory, etc.

Also - "expectation value" seems to be normal usage:

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/ExpectationValue.html

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?