1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expectation Value of an Operator

1. Aug 6, 2008 #1
    Problem
    Consider an operator [tex]\hat{A}[/tex] whose commutator with the Hamiltonian [tex]\hat{H}[/tex] is the constant [tex]c[/tex]... ie [tex] [\hat{H}, \hat{A}] = c[/tex]. Find [tex]\langle A \rangle[/tex] at [tex]t > 0,[/tex] given that the system is in a normalized eigenstate of [tex]\hat{A}[/tex] at [tex]t=0,[tex] corresponding to the eigenvalue [tex]a[/tex].

Attempt Solution
    We know that

[tex]\frac{\partial \langle A \rangle}{dt} = \langle \frac{i}{\hbar} [\hat{H}, \hat{A}] + \frac{\partial \hat{A}}{\partial t} \rangle = \langle \frac{i c}{\hbar} + 0 \rangle = \frac{i c}{\hbar}[/tex].

Is this correct? (I'm just confirming that [tex]d\hat{A}/dt = 0[/tex] since we're in an eigenstate of [tex]\hat{A}[/tex]). But this means that the expected value of [tex]A[/tex] is complex... clearly, [tex]\hat{A}[/tex] is not Hermitian then, right?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

None of this is very clear. What's the exact problem? ic/hbar may be real if c is complex. It's certainly true that the expectation values of a hermitian operator are real. That I'll give you, clearly.

4. Aug 7, 2008 #3
    Hmm... I couldn't edit my previous post, so here's the new problem... (slight LaTeX error in previous post):

Problem
    Consider an operator [tex]\hat{A}[/tex] whose commutator with the Hamiltonian [tex]\hat{H}[/tex] is the constant [tex]c[/tex]... ie [tex] [\hat{H}, \hat{A}] = c[/tex]. Find [tex]\langle A \rangle[/tex] at [tex]t > 0,[/tex] given that the system is in a normalized eigenstate of [tex]\hat{A}[/tex] at [tex]t=0,[/tex] corresponding to the eigenvalue [tex]a[/tex].

This is the correct problem. Notation-wise, we have that [tex]\langle A \rangle[/tex] denotes the expected value of the operator [tex]\hat{A}[/tex] operating upon some wavefunction [tex]\psi[/tex]... here, we know that for our wavefunction, [tex] [\hat{H}, \hat{A}] = c [/tex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?