1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expectation Value of Momentum

1. Feb 13, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a wave function [tex]\psi (x,t) = R(x,t) exp(i S(x,t))[/tex] what is the expectation value of momentum?

2. Relevant equations
    [tex] <f(x)> = \int^{\infty}_{-\infty} \psi^* f(x) \psi dx[/tex]

[tex] \hat{p} = -i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial x} [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    This is for an intro to modern class so I don't really have a formal background with eigenvalues/vectors yet so this is a bit confusing.

Can I just say that [tex] <p> = \int^{\infty}_{-\infty} \psi^{*} \hat{p} \psi dx = \int^{\infty}_{-\infty} \hat{p} \psi^{*} \psi dx[/tex] ?

If so by the normalization condition <p> = -i hbar which I don't think can be the case.

So...

[tex]<p> = \int^{\infty}_{-\infty} R exp(-i S) \hat{p} R exp(i S) dx[/tex]

[tex]= -i\hbar \int^{\infty}_{-\infty} R exp(-i S) * [R' exp(i S) + i R S' exp(i S)]dx [/tex]

[tex]= -i\hbar \int^{\infty}_{-\infty} R R' + i R^2 S' dx [/tex]

= ???

I don't really see anything from there...

I'm tempted to just say 0, but I'm not sure that the function being evaluated is odd.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2009 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, you cannot.
    The first equality is true, but the second is not. You cannot just pull an operator through a function, because
    [tex]\psi^* \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \psi \neq \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \psi^* \psi[/tex]
    which is ambiguous too, as it could mean either
    [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x} \left( \psi^* \psi \right) = \frac{\partial \psi^*}{\partial x} \psi + \psi^* \frac{\partial\psi}{\partial x} [/tex]
    or
    [tex]\left( \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \psi^* \right) \psi[/tex]

Instead you just plug in the wave-function. Start by writing down what is
    [tex]\hat p \psi(x, t) [/tex]

4. Feb 13, 2009 #3
    I all ready did apply the momentum operator like that in my derivation:

[tex]i\hbar [R' exp(i S) + i R S' exp(i S)][/tex]

I just assumed that the second expression was wrong and did it the (semi)correct way.

5. Feb 13, 2009 #4

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ah, I see that now.
    Yes you did it right.
    The result isn't something very beautiful, but I suppose one would not expect that... after all the wave function depends on R and S, both of which are arbitrary functions on spacetime, so one cannot "predict" the expectation value on physical grounds.

6. Feb 13, 2009 #5
    Ah, all right I just had in my mind that it would come out to be something the come be simplified a bit more. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook