Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expectation value of momentum

1. Nov 2, 2011 #1
    Ψ(x)=(2/a)^(1/2) [csin(nπx/a)]

The Expectation value of momentum <P>=∫Ψ*(x)[-ih d/dx ] Ψ(x) dx = 0
    the average momentum is zero.It means the particle is moving equally in the +x and -x.

And
    if Ψ(x)=(2/a)^(1/2) {csin(πx/a)+dsin(2πx/a)}

I calculate the average momentum is also zero,too,
    Is this means the same?
    My teacher didn't tell me the answer,and he say it is not zero "intuitively".
    But i think it is zero,isn't?

Because Ψ(x)=(2/a)^(1/2) [csin(πx/a)]+ (2/a)^(1/2) [dsin(2πx/a)]
    according to the Ψ(x)=(2/a)^(1/2) [csin(nπx/a)] ---> <p>=0
    so <p>=0+0=0

thanks.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2011 #2
    That's not quite what it means. It means that upon measurement, the particle has an equal likelihood of being found moving in either the +x or -x direction (I assume we're talking about a particle in a box).

For any* wavefunction at all (even something weird like [itex]\psi(x) = 3x^x[/itex]), the expected momentum will be 0 so long as [itex]\psi(0) = \psi(a) = 0[/itex].

Here's why:

[tex]\langle p_x \rangle = \int_{0}^{a} \psi^{*}(x) \left[ -i \hbar \frac{d\psi}{dx} \right]\, dx [/tex]

[tex]\langle p_x \rangle = -i \hbar \int_{0}^{a} \psi(x) \frac{d\psi}{dx}\, dx [/tex]

[tex]\langle p_x \rangle = \frac{-i \hbar}{2}\left[ \psi(a)^2 - \psi(0)^2 \right] [/tex]

[tex]\langle p_x \rangle = 0[/tex]

*The above math does not verify if this is true for complex wavefunctions, but my guess is "probably". If someone wants to prove/disprove that, feel free.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  4. Nov 2, 2011 #3
    so if the Ψ(x)=(2/a)^(1/2) {csin(πx/a)+dsin(2πx/a)}
    do the <P>=0 ??

5. Nov 2, 2011 #4
    Yep -- for a particle in a box. (Although I am assuming you meant to put an "n" in the argument of each sine function).

6. Nov 2, 2011 #5
    thanks ^^

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook