Expectation value of momentum

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the expectation value of momentum for two different wavefunctions. It is determined that for both wavefunctions, the expected momentum is zero, meaning that the particle has an equal likelihood of being found moving in either the positive or negative x direction. This holds true for any wavefunction with the condition that the function is equal to zero at the boundaries.
posion117
Ψ(x)=(2/a)^(1/2) [csin(nπx/a)]

The Expectation value of momentum <P>=∫Ψ*(x)[-ih d/dx ] Ψ(x) dx = 0
the average momentum is zero.It means the particle is moving equally in the +x and -x.

And
if Ψ(x)=(2/a)^(1/2) {csin(πx/a)+dsin(2πx/a)}

I calculate the average momentum is also zero,too,
Is this means the same?
My teacher didn't tell me the answer,and he say it is not zero "intuitively".
But i think it is zero,isn't?

Because Ψ(x)=(2/a)^(1/2) [csin(πx/a)]+ (2/a)^(1/2) [dsin(2πx/a)]
according to the Ψ(x)=(2/a)^(1/2) [csin(nπx/a)] ---> <p>=0
so <p>=0+0=0

thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
posion117 said:
It means the particle is moving equally in the +x and -x.

That's not quite what it means. It means that upon measurement, the particle has an equal likelihood of being found moving in either the +x or -x direction (I assume we're talking about a particle in a box).

For any* wavefunction at all (even something weird like [itex]\psi(x) = 3x^x[/itex]), the expected momentum will be 0 so long as [itex]\psi(0) = \psi(a) = 0[/itex].

Here's why:

[tex]\langle p_x \rangle = \int_{0}^{a} \psi^{*}(x) \left[ -i \hbar \frac{d\psi}{dx} \right]\, dx [/tex]

[tex]\langle p_x \rangle = -i \hbar \int_{0}^{a} \psi(x) \frac{d\psi}{dx}\, dx [/tex]

[tex]\langle p_x \rangle = \frac{-i \hbar}{2}\left[ \psi(a)^2 - \psi(0)^2 \right] [/tex]

[tex]\langle p_x \rangle = 0[/tex]

*The above math does not verify if this is true for complex wavefunctions, but my guess is "probably". If someone wants to prove/disprove that, feel free.

Last edited:
so if the Ψ(x)=(2/a)^(1/2) {csin(πx/a)+dsin(2πx/a)}
do the <P>=0 ??

posion117 said:
so if the Ψ(x)=(2/a)^(1/2) {csin(πx/a)+dsin(2πx/a)}
do the <P>=0 ??

Yep -- for a particle in a box. (Although I am assuming you meant to put an "n" in the argument of each sine function).

thanks ^^

What is the definition of expectation value of momentum?

The expectation value of momentum is a mathematical concept in quantum mechanics that represents the average value of a particle's momentum over a large number of measurements. It is calculated by multiplying the probability of obtaining a certain momentum value by that momentum value, and then summing these values for all possible momentum values.

How is the expectation value of momentum related to the uncertainty principle?

The expectation value of momentum is related to the uncertainty principle in that it represents the maximum possible accuracy with which the momentum of a particle can be known. This is because the product of the uncertainty in position and the uncertainty in momentum must always be greater than or equal to a specific constant value, as described by the uncertainty principle.

What is the significance of the expectation value of momentum in quantum mechanics?

The expectation value of momentum is significant in quantum mechanics because it provides a way to calculate the average momentum of a particle, which can be used to make predictions about its behavior. It is also a key component in the mathematical formalism of quantum mechanics, and is necessary for understanding many quantum phenomena.

How can the expectation value of momentum be measured experimentally?

The expectation value of momentum cannot be measured directly in experiments, as it is a theoretical concept. However, it can be indirectly measured by performing repeated measurements of the momentum of a particle and then calculating the average value. This is similar to how the average value of any physical quantity is measured experimentally.

What are some real-world applications of the expectation value of momentum?

The expectation value of momentum has many applications in modern technology, such as in the development of quantum computers and other quantum technologies. It is also used in various fields of physics, including atomic and molecular physics, solid state physics, and particle physics, to understand and predict the behavior of particles at the quantum level.