Expectation value of uncertainty

In summary, the conversation discusses using the equation d<A>/dt = <i/ℏ[H,A] + dA/dt> to show that d<&Delta;A>/dt is 0, but the person is having trouble computing [H,&Delta;A]. They suggest using Heisenberg's equation of motion, but the other person is not familiar with it.
capandbells

Homework Statement

Show that, if [H,A] = 0 and dA/dt = 0, then <&Delta;A> is constant in time.

Homework Equations

d<A>/dt = <i/ℏ[H,A] + dA/dt>

The Attempt at a Solution

I am trying to use the above equation to show that d<&Delta;A>/dt is 0, and I can get to d&Delta;A/dt = 0, but I can't figure out how to compute [H,&Delta;A]. The only thing I can think of is that since &Delta; A is just a function of A and A commutes with H, then &Delta; A also commutes with H, but I can't find a theorem that says that.

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the definition of [itex] \delta A [/itex] ? Then differentiate it wrt time and use Heisenberg's equation of motion.

Sorry, I don't know Heisenberg's equation of motion. We haven't gone over it in class and it doesn't show up in my book until much later.

What is the name of the equation you placed under <Relevant equations> ?

I would first review the commutation relation [H,A] = 0 and understand its implications. This relation means that the operators H and A commute with each other, which implies that they share a set of common eigenstates. This also means that the values of H and A can be simultaneously measured with arbitrary precision, as they do not affect each other's measurements.

Next, I would consider the expectation value of the uncertainty, <&Delta;A>, which is a measure of the spread or uncertainty in the measurement of A. If the commutation relation [H,A] = 0 holds, then the uncertainty in the measurement of A should remain constant over time. This is because the commutation relation implies that the operator A does not change in time, as given by dA/dt = 0. Therefore, the expectation value of the uncertainty, <&Delta;A>, should also remain constant over time.

To prove this mathematically, we can use the equation d<&Delta;A>/dt = <i/ℏ[H,A] + dA/dt> and plug in the values of [H,A] = 0 and dA/dt = 0. This yields d<&Delta;A>/dt = 0, which shows that the uncertainty in the measurement of A is indeed constant over time.

In conclusion, the commutation relation [H,A] = 0 and the fact that dA/dt = 0 imply that <&Delta;A> is constant in time. This is a significant result in quantum mechanics, as it shows that certain observables can be measured with a constant level of precision over time.

1. What is the expectation value of uncertainty?

The expectation value of uncertainty is a calculation used in quantum mechanics to measure the average uncertainty of a physical quantity, such as position or momentum, in a given state or system.

2. How is the expectation value of uncertainty calculated?

The expectation value of uncertainty is calculated by taking the square root of the variance of the physical quantity in question. The variance is found by taking the average of the squared differences between each value and the mean value of the quantity.

3. What is the significance of the expectation value of uncertainty?

The expectation value of uncertainty provides a measure of the spread or range of possible values for a physical quantity in a given state or system. It is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and helps to understand the probabilistic nature of the behavior of particles at the subatomic level.

4. How does the Heisenberg uncertainty principle relate to the expectation value of uncertainty?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know the exact values of certain pairs of physical quantities, such as position and momentum, simultaneously. The expectation value of uncertainty is a way to quantify this principle and understand the inherent uncertainty in these physical quantities.

5. Can the expectation value of uncertainty be zero?

Yes, the expectation value of uncertainty can be zero if the physical quantity in question has no variance or spread in its values. This means that there is no uncertainty in the measurement of that particular quantity in the given state or system.