What is the Expectation Value Problem in Quantum Mechanics?

In summary: Thank you.In summary, we are given the task of calculating the value of \Delta x using the given values of <x> and <x^2>. We can simplify the formula by substituting <x>=0, making the calculation much easier. The markup language being used in this conversation is TeX.
kasse

Homework Statement

Calculate [tex]\Delta x = \sqrt{\left\langle(x - \left\langle x \right\rangle )^2 \right\rangle}[/tex] if [tex]\left\langle x \right\rangle = 0 [/tex] and [tex]\left\langle x^2 \right\rangle = a^2(\frac{\pi - 6}{12 \pi^2})[/tex]

2. The attempt at a solution

[tex]\left\langle(x - \left\langle x \right\rangle )^2 \right\rangle = \left\langle x^2 - 2x \left\langle x \right\rangle + \left\langle x \right\rangle ^2 \right\rangle[/tex]

How can I proceed here?

(Also, can sby tell me the name of the markup language I am using?)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Take the expectation value of each of those three terms. You are using TeX.

kasse said:

Homework Statement

Calculate [tex]\Delta x = \sqrt{\left\langle(x - \left\langle x \right\rangle )^2 \right\rangle}[/tex] if [tex]\left\langle x \right\rangle = 0 [/tex] and [tex]\left\langle x^2 \right\rangle = a^2(\frac{\pi - 6}{12 \pi^2})[/tex]

2. The attempt at a solution

[tex]\left\langle(x - \left\langle x \right\rangle )^2 \right\rangle = \left\langle x^2 - 2x \left\langle x \right\rangle + \left\langle x \right\rangle ^2 \right\rangle[/tex]

How can I proceed here?

(Also, can sby tell me the name of the markup language I am using?)
You are TOLD that <x>= 0. Put that in and your formula simplifies enormously!

If I could not simplify, could I write [tex]\left\langle \left\langle x \right\rangle \right\rangle = \left\langle x \right\rangle [/tex]?

<x> is a constant (i.e. not a function). <constant>=constant. Of course those are equal.

Lol. Stupid question.

What is the expectation value problem?

The expectation value problem is a concept in quantum mechanics that refers to the average value of a physical quantity, such as position or momentum, when measured repeatedly on a large number of identical systems. It is used to predict the behavior of quantum systems and is an important component of the mathematical framework of quantum mechanics.

How is the expectation value calculated?

The expectation value is calculated by taking the sum of all possible values of a physical quantity, weighted by their respective probabilities. This can be represented mathematically as the integral of the physical quantity multiplied by the probability density function over all possible values. In simpler terms, it is the average of all possible outcomes of a measurement.

What is the significance of the expectation value problem?

The expectation value problem is significant because it allows us to make predictions about the behavior of quantum systems. By calculating the expectation value of a physical quantity, we can determine the most probable outcome of a measurement and use this information to understand and manipulate quantum systems.

How does the expectation value relate to uncertainty?

The expectation value is related to uncertainty through the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which states that the more precisely we know the value of one physical quantity, the less precisely we can know the value of its conjugate quantity. The expectation value represents the most probable outcome of a measurement, but it does not necessarily represent the exact value of the physical quantity, allowing for uncertainty in measurements.

What are some applications of the expectation value problem?

The expectation value problem has various applications in quantum mechanics, including predicting the behavior of quantum systems, calculating probabilities of various outcomes, and understanding the relationship between physical quantities. It is also used in quantum computing, quantum cryptography, and other areas of quantum technology.