1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expectation value proof

1. Sep 24, 2007 #1
    I am trying to show that

With the wavefunction [tex]\Psi[/tex] being both normalized to unity and square integrable

Here is what I tried...

[tex]<xp> = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}{\Psi}^*xp{\Psi}dx[/tex]

[tex]<px> = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}{\Psi}^*px{\Psi}dx=\frac{\hbar}{i}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}{\Psi}^*\frac{\partial}{{\partial}x}(x{\Psi})dx=\frac{\hbar}{i}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}{\Psi}^*({\Psi}+x\frac{{\partial}{\Psi}}{{\partial}x})dx=\frac{\hbar}{i}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}{\Psi}^*{\Psi}dx+\frac{\hbar}{i}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}{\Psi}^*x\frac{{\partial}{\Psi}}{{\partial}x}dx[/tex]

from here the first part in the addition reduces to [tex]\frac{\hbar}{i}[/tex] since the integral reduces to 1 for a normalized wavefunction. The second part is just the integral for <xp>, so I'll just reduce it to that for now...

[tex]<px>=\frac{\hbar}{i}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}{\Psi}^*{\Psi}dx+\frac{\hbar}{i}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}{\Psi}^*x\frac{{\partial}{\Psi}}{{\partial}x}dx =\frac{\hbar}{i}+<xp>[/tex]

so now we have

[tex]\frac{1}{m}(<xp>+<px>) = \frac{\hbar}{im}+\frac{2}{m}<xp>[/tex]............(2)

Looking at the left side of of equation (1) now

now.. I don't know if I can even do this: [tex]\frac{d}{dt}x^2=2x\frac{dx}{dt}=\frac{2}{m}xp[/tex]

assuming I could, that reduces the second integral to [tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\Psi^*\frac{d}{dt}(x^2){\Psi}dx=\frac{2}{m}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\Psi^*xp{\Psi}dx=\frac{2}{m}<xp>[/tex]

subbing into the LS and RS of equation (1) gives

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}x^2\frac{{\partial}}{{\partial}t}(\Psi^*{\Psi})dx + \frac{2}{m}<xp> = \frac{\hbar}{im} + \frac{2}{m}<xp>[/tex]

the same terms on each side cancel leaving me to show

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}x^2\frac{{\partial}}{{\partial}t}(\Psi^*{\Psi})dx = \frac{\hbar}{im}[/tex]

The inner derivative of this equation can be expanded to

From Shroedinger's eq'n we know

we then find that

From here I don't know where I'm going..seems like kind of a dead end..
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'll give you a hint. Work in the Heisenberg representation. No integrations, just operator equalities (surely, assuming a common dense domain for the operators and a specific form of the Hamiltonian).
  4. Sep 25, 2007 #3
    I don't really know anything about 'Heisenberg representation'...this is homework too, so it would probably be pointless to figure out since we aren't expected to know it.
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2007
  5. Sep 26, 2007 #4

Science Advisor

No, you can't; x doesn't depend on t, it's just an integration variable.

Start with
    [tex]{\partial\over\partial t}\langle x^2\rangle=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\left[{\partial\Psi^*\over\partial t}x^2\Psi+\Psi^*x^2{\partial\Psi\over\partial t}\right]dx[/tex]
    Then use the Schrodinger equation and it's complex conjugate. Then do some integrations by parts to try to get it to look like your integral expression for [tex]\langle(xp+px)\rangle[/tex]

Dexter is right that this problem is *much* easier in the Heisenberg representation.
  6. Sep 26, 2007 #5
    Thanks, I got it to work out now.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?