1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expectation Value Question

1. Nov 11, 2004 #1
    If the expectation value <x> of a particle trapped in a box L wide is L/2, which means its average position in the middle of the box. Find the expectation value <x squared>. How do I go about doing this? I am really confused.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2004 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The expectation value of x^2 can be calculated if you know the probability density function of x. If it is f(x)

For a classical particle f(x) = 1/L as it has equal probability of being anywhere in the box.

If it is a quantum particle, find out how the wavefunction of that particle, trapped in a box extending from x=0 to x=L, looks like. The probability density function is the square of the absolute value of the wavefunction.

[tex]f(x)= \phi \phi^* \rightarrow <x^2>=\int_0^L{x^2\phi \phi^*dx}[/tex]

4. Nov 12, 2009 #3
    I have the same problem as one part of a larger question, and was hoping to check my answer. Did you get a2(1/3 + 3/(2*pi2*n2) for the nth state?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?