1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expectation Value <x^2>

1. Oct 15, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1. What is <x[itex]^{2}[/itex]>, in terms of position and expectation values.
    2. How can I use the correspondence principal to explain the quantum vs classical results (below).

My textbook (Serway, Modern Physics) uses <x> as the expectation value, meaning the average position of a particle. It also uses <x[itex]^{2}[/itex]> in one example, and wants me to calculate it. I have calculated it by using the formula for <x>, but have no idea what it represents. The book does not define it, and I can't find it elsewhere.

The problem is to compare my calculated classical <x> and <x[itex]^{2}[/itex]> values vs the books example calculating them for a quantum situation (particle in infinite square well of length L).

2. Relevant equations
    <x> = [itex]\int[/itex]x (1/L)dx from 0 to L

<x[itex]^{2}[/itex]> = = [itex]\int[/itex]x[itex]^{}[/itex] (1/L)dx from 0 to L

3. The attempt at a solution
    The probability density (classical) is given as 1/L.
    My classical <x> agrees with that of the book's quantum = L/2

My classical <x[itex]^{2}[/itex]> is L[itex]^{2}[/itex]/3 while the book's quantum value is L[itex]^{2}[/itex]/3 -L[itex]^{3}[/itex]/(2 pi[itex]^{2}[/itex]).

I am also to use the correspondence principal to discuss the findings, but I cannot see how the quantum value would be altered (no n factor to increase) as the quantum world approaches the macro.

Thank you for your time.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2011 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The expectation value of a function g(X) of a continuous random variable X is given by
    [tex]\langle g(x)\rangle = \int g(x) f(x)\,dx[/tex]where f(x) is the probability density function for X.

For the classical case, you have f(x)=1/L, so
    \begin{align*}
    \langle x \rangle &= \int_0^L x \frac{1}{L}\,dx \\
    \langle x^2 \rangle &= \int_0^L x^2 \frac{1}{L}\,dx
    \end{align*}
    The only difference for the quantum case is that you now have f(x)=|ψ(x)|2.

4. Oct 16, 2011 #3
    O.k. thank you. I used the equation with x[itex]^{2}[/itex] to arrive at my answer for the <x[itex]^{2}[/itex]> part of the question. So if <x> is the average position, <x[itex]^{2}[/itex]> is just the average of the position squared? I don't seem to understand the reason for the squaring. I assume <x[itex]^{2}[/itex]> means the same thing for the classical and quantum, like <x> = average position, in both.

5. Oct 16, 2011 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Yes, you got it. As for the reason why you'd calculate <x2>, it's simply because the math calls for it. For example, the characteristic width of the wave function is [itex]\Delta x = \sqrt{\langle (x-\langle x \rangle)^2 \rangle} = \sqrt{\langle x^2 \rangle - \langle x \rangle^2}[/itex]. In plain old probability and statistics, this is how you'd calculate the standard deviation of a random distribution.

6. Oct 16, 2011 #5
    Great, thanks for the help.

I am still puzzled as to how I can use these results to "discuss" Bohr's correspondence principal. I see the classical and quantum results agree for the <x> value, which makes sense, because in in infinite well they are both forever confined within. However, I cannot explain the discrepancy in the <x[itex]^{2}[/itex]>value. There is no "n" quantum number for me to increase ad thus see what happens as the quantum scale approaches the classical.

7. Oct 16, 2011 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Did your book calculate the expectation value for a particular value of n? If not, it's a typo. There should be an n in the answer.

8. Oct 16, 2011 #7
    You are correct, the books quantum expression was for the ground state (n=1).
    There was an n in every answer, just hidden as n=1, in the denominator. So as n[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]infinity, both quantum terms go to zero. Thus predicting a zero average position and average position squared. Does this mean the particle is now localized at the origin?

9. Oct 16, 2011 #8

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

That's not correct. In the limit as n goes to infinity, the quantum mechanical result should go to the classical result.

10. Oct 17, 2011 #9
    I made a mistake in following the n through the books calculations. You are correct, the 2nd term drops out (in the <x^2>, so that it approaches macroscopic reality as n gets large.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook