1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expectation value <x>

1. Jan 20, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    It's an old assignment for exam, but the solution manual gives little help:

Describing a particle of mass m moving in one dimension (x) the wave function at time t=0 is:

## \Psi(x,t=0) = A \frac{1}{\sqrt{(x-x_0)^4 + l^4}} ##

##x_0## and ##l## are positive constants describing some length (##x_0, l>0##).

Normalize the wave equation and find the expectation value of x.

These integrals can be helpful (given with the assignment):
    (all integrals are from -∞ to ∞, I'm just a tad new at texing, and you'll get it right)

## \int \frac{1}{x^2+l^2} dx = \frac{\pi}{l} ##

## \int \frac{1}{sqrt{x^4+l^4}} dx = \frac{3.7081}{l} ##

## \int \frac{1}{x^4+l^4} dx = \frac{\pi}{\sqrt{2}l^3} ##

I am having trouble mathematically or principally calculate the expectation value.

2. Relevant equations

Normalization demands ## 1 = < \Psi | \Psi > ##

Exceptation value is ## <x> = < \Psi | x \Psi > ##

3. The attempt at a solution
    Normalizing the function was all right; since the function is symmetrical around ##x_0##, we can choose the function to be symmetric around zero, and so:

## 1 = |A|^2 \int \frac{1}{x^4+l^4} dx = |A|^2 \frac{\pi}{\sqrt{2}l^3} ##

So then ## A = \frac{\sqrt[4]{2}\sqrt{l^3}}{\sqrt{\pi}} ## or ## A = \sqrt[4]{2} \sqrt{\frac{l^3}{\pi}} ## if you like..

For the expectation value I'm not sure why it's "obviously" ##x_0##. I tried setting it up mathematically:

##<x> = |A|^2 \int \frac{x}{(x-x_0)^4+l^4} dx##

But I can't see how to get there (or really anywhere). My teacher suggests the same "substitution" as before (setting ##x_0 = 0##) to get:

##<x> = |A|^2 \int \frac{x}{(x-x_0)^4+l^4} dx = |A|^2 \int \frac{x}{x^4+l^4} dx + x_0 |A|^2 \int \frac{1}{x^4+l^4} dx ##

But I'm not following how like, what is the last part? And if I were to try and substitute like before, the variable would disappear, so I don't get his point.

I hop I TeXed everything correct. Welp pwease :-)

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The wave function is symmetric around ##x_0##, you cannot choose this to be zero if it is not. However, you can make the substitution ##t = x-x_0## and evaluate the integral in ##t## instead, which amounts to what you did.

For the expectation value, you can do the same substitution. The second term comes from the fact that not only is ##t = x-x_0##, leaving you with the denominator which is symmetric around ##t=0##, but also ##x = t + x_0##, leaving you with a numerator that is not.

As for the "obviousness" of the expectation value being ##x_0##: What is true for the probability density ##|\psi(x)|^2## when you study its symmetry properties around ##x = x_0##?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted