1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expectation Value

1. Oct 8, 2006 #1
    OK, here is the problem:

An electron is in a 1-D box of length L. Its wavefunction is a linear combination of the ground and first-excited stationary states (and here it is):

[tex]\phi(x,t) = \sqrt\frac{2}{L}[sin (\frac {\pi x} {L})e^{-i \omega_1 t} + sin\frac {2 \pi x}{L} e^{-i \omega_2 t}][/tex]

where [tex]E_1 = \hbar\omega_1 = \frac{\pi^2 \hbar^2}{2mL^2}[/tex], and [tex]E_2 = \hbar\omega_2 = \frac{4 \pi^2 \hbar^2}{2mL^2}[/tex]

First, I need to find the expectation value <x> for the wavefunction.

It seems to me that I need to multiply the wavefunction by its complex conjugate, put x in the middle, and integrate from -infinity to infinity. But attempting to do this yields some nasty integrals, like [tex]\int x sin^2 (\frac{\pi x}{L})[/tex] and [tex]\int sin(\frac{\pi x}{L})sin(\frac{2 \pi x}{L})e^{it(\omega_2-\omega_1)}[/tex] ; am I just doing this completely wrong or do I need to plow through the integrals?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2006 #2
    Well, Integrals might be nasty... But you are wrong about your integration limits, they're [0,L] and not [-inf,inf].

4. Oct 8, 2006 #3
    Thanks, I was wondering about that too. But I'm doing it correctly otherwise? I don't even know how to begin that second integral. Guh.

5. Oct 8, 2006 #4
    Well, you should use the formulae that convert a sine multiplication to a sum of cosines... Sorry, Integrals in QM are ugly... And it only gets worse...

6. Oct 9, 2006 #5

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Whenever I have an integral that isn't a basic polynomial or trig function, and I can't recognize a simple substitution that will solve it, I pull out my CRC Handbook of Mathematical Tables and look it up. I tell my students that doing this is OK, so long as they give me a reference: the name of the book or the address of the Web site, and the number that it uses to identify the integral.

7. Oct 9, 2006 #6
    Yeah, I think I figured them out, thanks to you guys :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?