1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expectation value

1. Nov 18, 2007 #1
    I'm confused re a particle of energy E < V inside a square potential of width 'a' centered at x = 0 with depth V.

They give the wavefunction for outside the well as [tex]\Psi(x) = Ae^{k|x|}[/tex] for |x| > a/2

and [tex]k^2 = -\frac{2ME}{\hbar^2}[/tex] => [tex]k = i\frac{\sqrt{2ME}}{\hbar}[/tex] ?

I need the probability that the particle is outside the potential well. So I integrate [tex]\int{\Psi(x)\Psi^*(x)dx}[/tex] from a/2 to infinity if I take x to be positive and then multiply by 2 for symmetry?

But isn't [tex]\Psi(x)^*\Psi(x) = A[/tex]? So my integral is infinity but shouldn't it be 0?
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

you must integrate from a/2 to infinity, not from 0.

Because the exponential is real then Psi Psi^* does not give a constant (that only happens for imaginary exponentials)
  4. Nov 18, 2007 #3
    Sorry I meant so say from a/2 to infinity.

But doesn't k have to have an i in it because k squared is negative?
  5. Nov 18, 2007 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I am a bit confused by your choice of zero for the potential. You are doing a bound state, right? If you set V =0 outside of the well, then it means E < 0 (but E > -V where I am assuming V is a positive number). Then k is real.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?