Expectation Value of x: (2a+b)/4

In summary, the formula for calculating the expectation value of x is (2a+b)/4, where a and b represent the possible outcomes of an experiment and their respective probabilities. The expectation value of x is a measure of the average or expected value of the outcomes of an experiment, calculated by multiplying each outcome by its corresponding probability and summing them together. It can be negative if the outcomes have negative values and their probabilities are high enough. The expectation value of x has various real-world applications and is not always accurate, but becomes more accurate with increasing trials or experiments.
roeb

Homework Statement

Find the expectation value <x> if:
from 0 <= x <= a, psi = A x/a
from a <= x <= b, psi = A(b-x)/(b-a)

Normalizing gives me that A = sqrt(3/b) (verified correct)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]<x> = \int_0^b x \psi^2 dx = \int_0^a \frac{A^2 x^3}{a^2}dx + \int_a^b A^2 \frac{x (b-x)^2 }{(b-a)^2} dx[/tex][tex]\int_0^a A^2 \frac{ x^3 }{ a^2} = A^2 \frac{ a^2 }{4} = 3/4 a^2/b[/tex]

[tex]A^2 \int_a^b \frac{x(b-x)^2}{(b-a)^2} dx = -A^2 \frac{x (b-x)^3}{(b-a)^2} - A^2 \frac{(b-x)^4}{12(b-a)^2}[/tex] eval from b to a

[tex]<x> = \frac{3a^2}{4b } + \frac{+ 3(b-a)a}{b} + \frac{3(b-a)^2}{12b} = \frac{-8a^2 + b^2 + 10ab}{4b}[/tex]

The answer is supposed to be (2a+b)/4... Does anyone see where I've gone wrong? I have double checked the antideriv. for the x(b-x)^2 integral and it seems to work.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The antiderivative of the x(b-x)^2 does NOT work. Try it again. How did you get that form anyway?

Thanks for your reply

I used integration by parts,

u = x
du = dx

dv = (b-x)^2
v = -(b-x)^3/3

vu - int(v du)

[tex]\frac{-(b-x)^3 x}{3} - \frac{(b-x)^4}{12}[/tex]

so
[tex]A^2 \int_a^b \frac{x(b-x)^2}{(b-a)^2} dx = \frac{A^2}{(b-a)^2} * (\frac{-x(b-x)^3}{4} - \frac{(b-x)^4}{12})[/tex]
I ran through it again but I can't seem to see what I am doing incorrectly.

Last edited:
The 0 to a integration seems to be correct.

The a to b integration seems little bit weird. The approach that you did by using the integration by part can lead you to the answer.

[tex]A^2 \int_a^b \frac{x(b-x)^2}{(b-a)^2} dx = \frac{A^2}{(b-a)^2} * (\frac{-x(b-x)^3}{3} - \frac{(b-x)^4}{12})[/tex]

[tex] = \frac{3}{b} (\frac{a(b-a)}{3}+\frac{(b-a)^2}{12})[/tex]

Now you can get <x> value by doing:

[tex]<x>=\frac{3a^2}{4b}+\frac{4a(b-a)}{4b}+\frac{(b-a)^2}{4b}=\frac{2a+b}{4}[/tex]

Pretty much a straight forward process.

Hope it helped =)

In the original post you were missing the denominator 3 on the (b-x)^3 part. In post 3 you had it except in the last line you replaced it with a 4. You are doing everything right. I think you are just making a bookkeeping error. You could also integrate x*(b-x)^2 by just expanding it into xb^2-2bx^2-x^3. That's what I did.

1. What is the formula for calculating the expectation value of x?

The formula for calculating the expectation value of x is (2a+b)/4, where a and b represent the possible outcomes of an experiment and their respective probabilities.

2. How is the expectation value of x related to probability?

The expectation value of x is a measure of the average or expected value of the outcomes of an experiment. It is calculated by multiplying each outcome by its corresponding probability and summing them together. This is similar to how probability is calculated by summing the probabilities of each possible outcome.

3. Can the expectation value of x be negative?

Yes, the expectation value of x can be negative. This can occur if the outcomes of an experiment have negative values and their probabilities are high enough to outweigh the positive outcomes.

4. How can the expectation value of x be used in real-world applications?

The expectation value of x can be used in various scientific and mathematical fields, such as quantum mechanics, statistics, and finance. It can help predict the most likely outcome of an experiment or event and can be used to make informed decisions.

5. Is the expectation value of x always accurate?

No, the expectation value of x is not always accurate. It is a mathematical prediction based on the probabilities of outcomes, but in reality, the actual outcome of an experiment or event may differ. However, as the number of trials or experiments increases, the expectation value tends to become more accurate.