1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expectation values in momentum/position space?

1. May 10, 2004 #1
    I'm currently, yet again, left clueless by a problem.

See: the actual equations here

Ok, so they give the Psi(x) in position space, and the first question is to give the corresponding, normalized wave equation in momentum space.

You do a fourier transform, no?

Psi(p)=Int ((1/sqrt2pi) Psi(x) (e^ipx/hbar) dx

no?

From that, I get Psi(p)=(2hbar/(p sqrt2pi)) sin (pa/hbar)

or....?

After that, I tried to get the expectation value, <p>, but with poor results. Integrate Psi* Psi p dp, yeah? What I get is 4hbar^2/(2pi p^2) [ln|p| sin^2(pa/hbar)]

Now, I know this has to be wrong, but I have no idea what I'm doing to screw it up.

I tried to do <p^2> and <x> and it just gets worse, and messier. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG??

Pleease help. Thank you :)

edit: I think I've got it! Well, at least part of it. I've gotten my expectation values for p and x to be zero, and I think my x^2 and p^2 are wrong, but... I can't think of anything else... so, it's staying right now with

<p^2>= (2hbarp*sinpa)/pi

<x^2>= A^2 (2a^3/3)

Working on the rest, still... but coming a bit further?

Last edited: May 10, 2004
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted