1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expected number of runs

1. Jul 10, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose we have a die with 3 colors on it.

4 sides are blue => P(Z=Blue) = 2/3
    1 side is green => P(Z=Green) = 1/6
    1 side is red => P(Z=Red) = 1/6

I throw it 20 times and have Z=(Z1,..., Z20). Now what is the expected number of "runs"?

Run is defined as the number of times the color changes, or equivalently, as the number of consistent blocks of a color.

For example: string "bbgrg" has 4 runs ( |bb|, |g|, |r|, |g| )

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attempt #1:
    Change the representation of the sequence from "bbgrg" into a sequence of 1 and 0. One being a new color block (a success), 0 being just another ball of the previous color.
    "bbgrg" becomes 10111.

In other words, P(Xi=1), if {Zi != Zi+1}.

This is, however, only a restatement of the problem and doesn't solve the initial problem: how many "1" do I have in 20 throws?

Attempt #2:

The number of throws before a given color occurs is geometrically distributed (Geo(p)). Thus:

E(number of throws until blue occurs) = 1/P(Z=Blue) = 3/2
    E(number of throws until green occurs) = 1/P(Z=Green) = 6
    E(number of throws until red occurs) = 1/P(Z=Red) = 6

I also know E(# Blue) = n * P(Z=Blue) = 20*2/3 = 40/3
    E(# Green) = E(# Red) = 20/6

I could maybe use those 2 pieces of information but I can't see how. Any comments are welcomed.

Thank you for help.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2011 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would do it by an iterative method. If B(n) = expected number of runs in n tosses, given the first toss is Blue, and G(n), R(n) are defined similarly, I would get the answer in terms of B(20), G(20) and R(20). Then I would get recursions for B(n), G(n) and R(n) by noting how B(n) is related to B(n-1), G(n-1) and R(n-1) by looking at the next colour, etc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?