What factors contribute to the expected temperature of a pool?

• Thread starter moonman239
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Temperature
In summary, the pool is 60 ft by 30 ft by 10 ft and the weatherman predicts a high of 84 degrees Fahrenheit tomorrow. At 6 AM, the pool temperature will be 50 degrees. Without taking into account heat loss, the temperature at 3 PM will be the same as the predicted high of 84 degrees. However, with heat loss at 20J/hour, the pool will remain heated for a long time. The pool has 498 m^3 of water and will take 2.1 * 10^9 J to heat it 1 degree celsius. It will take approximately 3.5 hours to heat the pool from 10 to 28.8 degrees celsius
moonman239
Assume I have a pool that is 60 ft by 30 ft by 10 ft. The weatherman says the high tomorrow will be 84 degrees Fahrenheit. The pool temperature will be 50 degrees at 6 AM.
1. Ignoring heat loss, what will the temperature be at around 3PM?
2. The heat loss is around 20J/hour. What will the temperature be when I go for my afternoon swim at 4 PM?

Science news on Phys.org
Such a deep pool won't warm up much from conduction with the atmosphere in a single day. The problem is this will only warm the top layer, also increasing cooling by evaporation. (the humidity as well as the temperature is important)
The only thing that will help is sunlight, which will shine into the water and heat the pool to a greater depth. It still won't heat quickly.

Your pool has 498 m^3 water, which will take 2.1 * 10^9 J to heat it 1 degree celsius. The surface is 165 m^2, which will catch about 165 Kw of sunlight with the sun overhead. It will still take 2.1*10^9 / 1650000 = 1.27 * 10^4s = 3.5 hours
to heat it by one degree celsius, and you want to heat it from 10 to 28.8 degrees celsius, and the sun won't be straight overhead all the time.

If the heat loss is really around 20J/hour, the pool would remain heated for the rest of your life.

1. What factors affect expected pool temperature?

The expected pool temperature is affected by several factors, including the ambient air temperature, the amount of sunlight, the size and depth of the pool, and the heating system used. Additionally, factors like wind, humidity, and shade can also impact the pool's temperature.

2. How can I calculate the expected pool temperature?

The expected pool temperature can be calculated by using a formula that takes into account the pool's surface area, volume, and the heating system's efficiency. There are also online calculators available that can help determine the expected pool temperature based on the pool's dimensions and location.

3. What is the ideal expected pool temperature?

The ideal expected pool temperature can vary depending on personal preferences and the intended use of the pool. However, most people find that a temperature between 78-82 degrees Fahrenheit is comfortable for swimming and other water activities.

4. How long does it take for a pool to reach its expected temperature?

The time it takes for a pool to reach its expected temperature can vary depending on factors like the size and depth of the pool, the heating system used, and the outside temperature. In general, it can take anywhere from a few hours to a full day for a pool to reach its expected temperature.

5. Can I adjust the expected pool temperature?

Yes, the expected pool temperature can be adjusted by using a pool cover, adjusting the heating system, or using a pool thermometer to determine the current temperature and make necessary changes. It is important to make any temperature adjustments gradually to avoid shocking the pool's system or causing discomfort for swimmers.