1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expected value distribution

1. Nov 3, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    (X,Y) has joint density f_X,Y ( (x,y) = (3/16)(x+2y) for 0<y<x , 0< x<2

Evaluate E(Z) where Z = (3X+4Y)/(X+2Y)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Getting the marginal densities
    f_X (x) =(3/8)x^2 for 0<x<2

f_Y (y) = (3/2)+(3/4)y for 0<y<2

Would I find the new distribution of 3X , 4Y, and 2Y then do the ratio distribution to solve for the distribution of Z? If this is correct, is there a shorter way?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2012 #2
    E[3X+4Y/X+2Y]=3E[X/X+2Y]+4E[Y/X+2Y]

now use fx/z=f(x,z)/f(z) and integration over suitable rigions in the xy plane.
    fy/z=f(y,z)/f(z)
    recall that E[x/z]=integral(xfx/z)

4. Nov 3, 2012 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You don't need to find marginal distributions (which would be of no help anyway) and there is no need to find the distribution of Z (although doing so would not be harmful). Just use the so-called "theorem (or law) of the unconcious statistician"; use Google if you have never heard of this.

RGV

5. Nov 3, 2012 #4
    I tought the symbol / denotes conditional variable,but maybe you ment fraction.

6. Nov 3, 2012 #5
    Oh yeah! Using the marginals would lose information.

So E[Z]=integral 0 to 2 integral 0 to x (3x+4y)/(x+2y) (3/16)(x+2y) dy dx = integral 0 to 2 (3/16)(3x+4y) dx = 5/2 Am I using the Unconscious Statistician theorem correctly? Thanks for all the help! <3

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  7. Nov 3, 2012 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, you should write (3x+4y)/(x+2y), not (3x+4y/x+ 2y) --- because this last means
    [tex] 3x + \frac{4y}{x} + 2y.[/tex]
    Also, when I do the y-integral I do not get 3x^2(3x+1)/8. This last integrates to 11/2 as x goes from 0 to 2, so I don't know how you get 5/2. (The 5/2 is correct; your computation is not.)

RGV

8. Nov 3, 2012 #7
    Thanks again! I typed the function incorrectly, but wrote it down correctly.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook