1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expected value for p

1. Sep 7, 2015 #1
    I have done a lot of counts but I'm sure that there will be a quicker way.. Can you suggest me?

I have followed the way ##\bar{p}=-i \hbar\int \psi(x)* \cdot \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \psi(x) \ dx##...

Can I follow a quicker way?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2015 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is that integral too lengthy to compute?

4. Sep 7, 2015 #3
    It is, but what it asks me to compute after that is even longer.. ##\bar {p}^2##!!

Can't I express the state at t=0 as: ##| \psi(x,0)>=\frac{1}{\sqrt2} (|1>+e^{i \gamma} |2>##?

5. Sep 7, 2015 #4

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How is it lengthy, it's just integral of product sinusoids, you can make use of their (anti)symmetry property to eliminate some terms without actually calculating it.

6. Sep 7, 2015 #5
    mmh.. for example?

7. Sep 7, 2015 #6

Avodyne

Science Advisor

##p^2## is much easier than ##p##. I just computed its expectation value in my head.

This is because ##p^2## is a special operator for this problem. It's specialness is related to the definition of ##\phi_n##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted