1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expected value of a sum.

1. Nov 1, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose that ∫X,Y(x,y) = λ2e-λ(x+y), 0 ≤ x, 0 ≤ y

Find E(X + Y)

2. Relevant equations

E(X + Y) = E(X) + E(Y)

3. The attempt at a solution

Since the expected vale of a sum is the sum of the expected values, I attempted to find the marginal pdfs of the joint pdf. But when calculating the integral for the marginal probability of X, pX(x) = ∫λ2e-λ(x+y) dy from 0 to ∞, the result is an undefined statement, division by zero.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2013 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Remember that an integral from 0 to ∞ is a limit of the integral from 0 to U as U → ∞. Just do the integral from 0 to U first, then take the limit. Do it properly, and do it carefully.

4. Nov 1, 2013 #3
    That's what I did. As I said in the original post, the limit is 0. But because the 0 appears in the denominator, the integral is undefined.

Does anyone know where the problem is?

5. Nov 1, 2013 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I don't think so. Keep in mind that e-λ(x + y) = e-λx * e-λy, and that you are integrating with respect to y.

Also, both ex and e-x are positive for all real numbers x, so I think you might be confused about 0 appearing in the denominator.

6. Nov 1, 2013 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You need to show us your work, step-by-step. Otherwise, there is no way we can help you.

7. Nov 1, 2013 #6

statdad

Homework Helper

"Since the expected vale of a sum is the sum of the expected values, I attempted to find the marginal pdfs of the joint pdf. "

There is no need to do that.

8. Nov 1, 2013 #7

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Agreed. But he ought to be ABLE to do it if he wants to pass the course.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted