1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expected value of area

1. Mar 25, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given a unit square and a 'target' square of size LXL = p^2 < 1 in the unit square. The center of target square in equally likely to be anywhere in the unit square. What is the average size of the target square as a function of p^2.

This is the problem and I have included a jpeg illustration of the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My attempt at the problem :

I divided the problem into three cases : one where the target square is completely in the unit square : one where half the target square is in the unit square and one where quarter of the target square is in the unit square. I then calculated the expectation integral of p^2 but I am confused as to what the probability density function is and what the limits of integral are for each of the cases.

Attached Files:

• pic.jpg
      File size:
      6 KB
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2008
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?