1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expected Value of Hamiltonian in a Forced Quantum Harmonic Oscillator.

1. Apr 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given an initial [itex](t=-∞)[/itex] Fock state , [itex]\left|n\right\rangle[/itex], and a function [itex]f(t)[/itex], where [itex]f(±∞)=0[/itex], show that for a Harmonic Oscillator perturbed by [itex]f(t)\hat{x}[/itex] the difference [itex]\left\langle H(+∞) \right\rangle - \left\langle H(-∞) \right\rangle[/itex] is always positive.

2. Relevant equations
    The Hamiltonian will be [itex]H(t) = \hbar[/itex][itex]ω[/itex][itex](a^{\dagger}a+\frac{1}{2})[/itex] [itex]-f(t)(a+a^{\dagger})[/itex], where I've transfered the constant of the creation and annihilation operators to the function.
    At [itex]t=-∞[/itex] the initial state is [itex]\left|\psi(-∞)\right\rangle = \left|n\right\rangle[/itex] and [itex]f(-∞)=0[/itex], so it's the unperturbed Hamiltonian and [itex]\left\langle H(-∞) \right\rangle = (n + \frac{1}{2})\hbarω[/itex].
    Also, in Heisenberg's picture, [[itex]a(t), a^{\dagger}(t)[/itex]] = 1.

3. The attempt at a solution
    My professor has suggested me to solve the Langevin equation for expected value or use Heisenberg's picture.

The first takes me to:
    [itex]\left\langle H(+∞) \right\rangle - \left\langle H(-∞) \right\rangle = ∫^{∞}_{-∞} \left\langle ∂_{t}H(t) \right\rangle dt[/itex], and I am unable to go any farther since we don't have any other information about [itex]f(t)[/itex].

The last takes me to:
    [itex] i\hbar \frac{d a(t)}{dt} = [a(t),H(t)] = -f(t) + \hbarω a(t)[/itex], which can be solved as [itex] a(t) = a(t_{0})e^{-iω(t-t_{0})} + \frac{i}{\hbar}∫^{t}_{t_{0}} f(t')e^{-iω(t-t')}dt'[/itex]. I assumed that when I take [itex]t_{0} = -∞[/itex] the first term of the sum is [itex]a[/itex], the annihilation operator. The same can be done to the creation operator. However, how can I use these integrals to evaluate [itex]\left\langle H(+∞) \right\rangle[/itex]? How to deal with the the integration when I substitute t for +∞?
    I expected the time derivative of [itex]f(t)[/itex] to appear somehow, so that the boundary could be used, but I can't seem to get that. Will it ever appear?
    Another idea I had was that since the perturbation ceases to act upon the system I could use the adiabatic approximation, but that would mean the state is the same and the difference between the expected values is merely zero.

Am I missing something? Is there a way to use the results I've already found?
    Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?