Understanding the Concept of Expected Value in Quantum Mechanics

In summary: For example, in the above equation, the symbol "muliply" is used to represent the operator, and the symbol "variable" is used to represent the quantity on the left side of the equation.When an operator is represented by a symbol, it can have different meanings in different places in a problem. In this equation, for example, "muliply" may represent the operation of multiplying two numbers, while in another equation it may represent the operation of multiplying a number by itself. This can be very confusing, and it's important to be careful when reading equations.
skiboo
Often in quantum mechanics, there appears statements of the type :

Expected value of operator = a value

I am told that operators are instructions and I do not understand how an instruction can have a value, expected or otherwise. Even in the case where the operator is of the form "muliply the argument by the value of variable x", this is not the same as the value of x per se. In other cases the incompatability is starker. Can someone please resolve this problem, preferably in words, because the explanations I have seen to date seem to make the problem disappear by making a symbol have diffeent meanings in different locations.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you already have some background in QM, I'd recommend to study the postulates of QM. There, the connection between the mathematical concepts and the physical meaning are made.

In QM, an operator A is an object which acts on a state vector |ψ>. The result of A|ψ> is again a state vector, |ψ'>. The expectation value of A in the state |ψ> is the inner product <ψ|ψ'>, so this is a number. If you have trouble with the notation, replace |ψ> by your favourite vector notation, maybe v. If you are not familiar with vectors and inner products, you should probably learn some linear algebra first.

I suspect that when you were told "operators are instructions", they meant that operators are instructions to do some specific thing to a wave function so that you get a value. The "expected value" of such an operator is the average of all possible values.

Thanks,KITH and PF MENTOR. Of course I agree that when an operator acts on something the result may have a value. But what disturbs me is the way in which a symbol is used sometimes to represent a property and at other times to represent the corresponding operator,in the same problem.

What is an expected value of an operator?

The expected value of an operator is a mathematical concept that represents the average outcome of a random variable over a large number of trials. It is calculated by multiplying each possible outcome by its probability and summing up all the products.

Why is the expected value of an operator important?

The expected value of an operator is important because it allows us to make predictions about the average outcome of a random variable. It is used in various fields such as statistics, finance, and economics to make informed decisions and assess risk.

How is the expected value of an operator calculated?

The expected value of an operator is calculated by multiplying each possible outcome of a random variable by its probability and summing up all the products. This can be represented mathematically as E(X) = ∑ x * P(x), where X is the random variable, x is each possible outcome, and P(x) is the probability of x occurring.

What are some real-world applications of the expected value of operators?

The expected value of operators has many real-world applications. In finance, it is used to calculate the potential return on investment. In gambling, it is used to determine the odds of winning. In insurance, it is used to calculate premiums. In decision-making, it is used to assess risk and make informed choices.

What is the relationship between expected value of operators and variance?

Variance is a measure of the spread of a random variable's possible outcomes around the expected value of an operator. It is calculated by taking the squared difference of each outcome from the expected value and multiplying it by its probability. Therefore, the expected value and variance are closely related and are often used together to fully describe a random variable's distribution.