What is the Expected Value of Rayleigh Distribution?

In summary, the homework statement is that using a density function, find the pdf and E(Y) and V(Y) for the function f(u) = f(h^-1(u))*|dh^-1/du|.
alman9898

Homework Statement

A density function used is:

[tex]f(y) = \frac{2y}{\theta}e^{\frac{-y^{2}}{\theta}} y > 0[/tex]

using method of transformations find:

(a) pdf of U = Y^2
(b) E(Y) and V(Y)

Homework Equations

f(u) = f(h^-1(u))*|dh^-1/du|
h^-1(u) = sqrt(u)

The Attempt at a Solution

The pdf Y^2 ~ exp(theta)

E(Y) = E(U^1/2).

That is:

[tex]\int\frac{1}{\theta}u^{1/2}e^{\frac{-u}{\theta}}[/tex]

So, multiply by sqrt(theta)/sqrt(theta) and group terms...

[tex]\frac{\sqrt{\theta}}{\theta}\int\sqrt{\frac{u}{\theta}}e^{\frac{-u}{\theta}}[/tex]

The integral is the Gamma function with parameter 3/2. So I get...

sqrt(PI/THETA)/2 as the answer...but a little internets research reveals the expected value *should* be sqrt(PI * THETA)/2. I can't find out where my math went wrong, it's something stupid but I've been stuck for a whole day...

Physics news on Phys.org
Try changing the variable from u to s by letting [itex]s = u/\theta,\ du = \theta ds[/itex]:

[tex]\int_0^\infty\frac 1 \theta e^{-\frac u \theta}\, du=
\int_0^\infty\frac 1 \theta(\theta s)^{\frac 1 2}e^{-s}\theta\, ds =
\int_0^\infty\sqrt{\theta}s^{\frac 1 2}e^{-s}\,ds = \sqrt\theta\ \Gamma(\frac 3 2) [/tex]

That helps alot, but if it wasn't for checking my work I would've been surely wrong. Any idea why my method didn't work; it's a trick my professor uses to solve problems with 'known' solutions.

It's because the gamma function is the integral of sqrt(v)*exp(-v)*dv. Or the integral of sqrt(u/theta)*exp(-u/theta)*d(u/theta). Not the integral of sqrt(u/theta)*exp(-u/theta)*du. The last one is what you were putting to be gamma(3/2). That's not right. You are off by a factor of theta because you didn't change the integration variable. Probably happened because you were omitting the d(something) after your integrals.

Last edited:
Ok I understand it now. That clears up a lot, and explains the missing term I needed to make things all nice. (I would have another theta term in the numerator to cancel the one out in the denominator).

What is the expected value of Rayleigh?

The expected value of Rayleigh is a measure of central tendency that represents the average value of a Rayleigh distribution. It is calculated by taking the integral of the Rayleigh distribution function multiplied by the variable x.

How is the expected value of Rayleigh calculated?

The expected value of Rayleigh is calculated by taking the integral of the Rayleigh distribution function multiplied by the variable x. This integral can be solved using integration techniques such as substitution or by using software such as R or Python.

What does the expected value of Rayleigh represent?

The expected value of Rayleigh represents the average value of a Rayleigh distribution. It is a measure of central tendency that can be used to understand the distribution of a set of data and make predictions about future values.

What factors affect the expected value of Rayleigh?

The expected value of Rayleigh can be affected by various factors, such as the shape of the distribution, the scale parameter, and the sample size. A larger sample size or a larger scale parameter can lead to a higher expected value, while a more skewed distribution may result in a lower expected value.

How is the expected value of Rayleigh used in real-world applications?

The expected value of Rayleigh is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as in signal processing, radar systems, and wireless communication. It is also commonly used in engineering and physics to model the magnitude of random noise or fluctuations in a system.