What is the expected value of x^2 for a wave packet in momentum representation?

In summary, the conversation discusses a question posed by a teacher about a wave packet in momentum representation and determining the wave function, uncertainties, and expectation values. The conversation ends with the conclusion that the wave function does not fall off fast enough to give a finite expectation value for x^2.
rgalvao

Homework Statement

My teacher made up this question, but I think there's something wrong.

Consider the wave packet in momentum representation defined by Φ(p)=N if -P/2<p<P/2 and Φ(p)=0 at any other point. Determine Ψ(x) and uncertainties Δp and Δx.

Homework Equations

Fourier trick and stuff...

The Attempt at a Solution

I found Ψ(x)=(2ħN/x√2πħ)sin(Px/2ħ), where N=±√1/P
<x>=0, <p>=0, <p^2>=(P^2)/12

But when I try to calculate <x^2>, I get a strange integral, which goes to infinity. Am I doing anything wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello rgalvao, welcome to PF :smile: !

I see you didn't get a reply yet, so perhaps I can put in my five cents:

Your wave function ##sin x\over x## is the Fourier transform of a rectangular function and you can indeed see that ##\int \Psi^* \,x \, \Psi dx ## yields zero, but ##\int \Psi^* \, x^2 \, \Psi dx ## diverges.

I don't see anything wrong with what you do. The wave function simply doesn't fall off fast enough with |x| to give a finite expectation value for x2.
Let us know if you or teacher finds otherwise (i.e. correct me if I am wrong ... :wink: ) !

I'm not even sure about <x>. Sure, you can argue with symmetry, but the integral is not well-defined.

1. What is expected value of x^2?

The expected value of x^2 is a mathematical concept used to measure the average value of the square of a random variable. It represents the long-term average of the squared values that the random variable takes on.

2. How is expected value of x^2 calculated?

The expected value of x^2 can be calculated by multiplying each possible value of x by its respective probability and then summing up all the products. This can be represented by the formula E(x^2) = ∑x^2 * P(x), where x represents the possible values and P(x) represents their probabilities.

3. What is the significance of expected value of x^2?

The expected value of x^2 is an important concept in probability and statistics as it helps in understanding the expected behavior of a random variable. It can also be used to make predictions and decisions in various fields such as finance, economics, and engineering.

4. Can the expected value of x^2 be negative?

Yes, the expected value of x^2 can be negative. This usually occurs when the random variable has a wide range of possible values and a negative sign is present in the formula. However, it is important to note that a negative expected value of x^2 does not necessarily mean that the random variable itself is negative.

5. How does the expected value of x^2 differ from the expected value of x?

The expected value of x^2 is the average of the squared values of a random variable, while the expected value of x is the average of the values themselves. This means that the expected value of x^2 takes into account the variability and dispersion of the values, whereas the expected value of x only considers their central tendency.