1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expected value of x^2

1. Oct 3, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    My teacher made up this question, but I think there's something wrong.

Consider the wave packet in momentum representation defined by Φ(p)=N if -P/2<p<P/2 and Φ(p)=0 at any other point. Determine Ψ(x) and uncertainties Δp and Δx.

2. Relevant equations
    Fourier trick and stuff...

3. The attempt at a solution
    I found Ψ(x)=(2ħN/x√2πħ)sin(Px/2ħ), where N=±√1/P
    <x>=0, <p>=0, <p^2>=(P^2)/12

But when I try to calculate <x^2>, I get a strange integral, which goes to infinity. Am I doing anything wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello rgalvao, welcome to PF :smile: !

I see you didn't get a reply yet, so perhaps I can put in my five cents:

Your wave function ##sin x\over x## is the Fourier transform of a rectangular function and you can indeed see that ##\int \Psi^* \,x \, \Psi dx ## yields zero, but ##\int \Psi^* \, x^2 \, \Psi dx ## diverges.

I don't see anything wrong with what you do. The wave function simply doesn't fall off fast enough with |x| to give a finite expectation value for x2.
    Let us know if you or teacher finds otherwise (i.e. correct me if I am wrong .... :wink: ) !

4. Oct 5, 2015 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I'm not even sure about <x>. Sure, you can argue with symmetry, but the integral is not well-defined.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted