1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expected value question

1. Feb 6, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A catalog contains 10 itmes. Two people, A and B each select 3 items from the catalog independently. What is the expected value of the number of items A and B ordered.

My attempt:
    Let A chose any 3 items. The probability that B
    Chose 1 similar item is 3/10
    Chose 2 of the same items = 3/10*2/9
    Chose 3 of the same items = 3/10*2/9*1/8

And so the expected value is 1*(3/10) +2*(3/10*2/9) + 3*(3/10*2/9*1/8) = 11/24
    But he awnsers page sais it is 0.9
    I don't really know what I'm doing wrong
    Guidance needed :)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2010 #2
    How did you compute your probabilities?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  4. Feb 6, 2010 #3
    A chose any 3 items.
    Then the chance that B chose one of them is 3/10. He has three chances to chose one of ten objects. The chance that B chose 2 of the same is 3/10*2/9 since he had 3 chances for the first one and two chances out of the nine remaining for the next one. etc

5. Feb 6, 2010 #4
    The probability that the first item B chooses is one of A's items is 3/10. But what about the other two? With no restriction, they could be anything: one of A's or not one of A's, coincidental with the first item, etc.

6. Feb 6, 2010 #5
    I don't see why.
    The chance that B took one item is 3/10. Then to chose another item he has two choices left out of 9 other items. So 2/9 and multiply by 3/10 since to get the seconed item he had to get the first item.

7. Feb 6, 2010 #6
    Suppose you want to know the probability that B chooses exactly one of A's items. Then he has to choose one of the 3 items of A, and two of the remaining 7.

8. Feb 6, 2010 #7
    Ok. I got it. Thanks for the help, much apreciated.
    Tal

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook