Expected value - Statistics question about E(X) and E(X^2) in a beta distribution

• Thread starter laura_a
  • Start date

Homework Statement

The actual question I'm working on is to find the Method of moments for [tex] \theta [/tex] for a beta distribution where the parameters are m = n= [tex] \theta [/tex]

Homework Equations

What I need help with is to get started, I know that E(X)=1/2 for this question so that it does not depend on [tex] \theta [/tex] My actual problem is that I need to calculate E(X^2) and I can't find any info on how to calculat E(X^2) for a beta distribution, I know the answer is ([tex] \theta [/tex] +1)/(2(2[tex] \theta [/tex] +1))

The Attempt at a Solution

I found a formula on Wiki for Variance of a beta distribution and thought i'd try it, although I know that variance is E(X)^2 - E(X^2) anyway I ended up with 1/(4(2[tex] \theta [/tex] +1)) which was close, but not it.... Once I find E(X^2) I should be able to answer the actual question I'm working on

Answers and Replies

ahh dont worry I've figured it out, I've got E(X) and I've got Var(X) so I'll find E(X^2) using that formula for variance... thanks anyway