1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expected value - Statistics question about E(X) and E(X^2) in a beta distribution

1. Aug 9, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The actual question I'm working on is to find the Method of moments for [tex] \theta [/tex] for a beta distribution where the parameters are m = n= [tex] \theta [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

What I need help with is to get started, I know that E(X)=1/2 for this question so that it does not depend on [tex] \theta [/tex] My actual problem is that I need to calculate E(X^2) and I can't find any info on how to calculat E(X^2) for a beta distribution, I know the answer is ([tex] \theta [/tex] +1)/(2(2[tex] \theta [/tex] +1))

3. The attempt at a solution

I found a formula on Wiki for Variance of a beta distribution and thought i'd try it, although I know that variance is E(X)^2 - E(X^2) anyway I ended up with 1/(4(2[tex] \theta [/tex] +1)) which was close, but not it.... Once I find E(X^2) I should be able to answer the actual question I'm working on

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2008 #2
    ahh dont worry I've figured it out, I've got E(X) and I've got Var(X) so I'll find E(X^2) using that formula for variance... thanks anyway

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?