1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expected value with condition

1. May 26, 2013 #1
    the random value X takes values 1,2,3.... and has the X has geometric distribution with p=0.20 (This means that X can be interpreted as the time the first crown to repeated throws a coin coin lands heads with probability p.) what is the expected value E(X/X>=6)=?

i use this type : E(X/X>=6)=sum(k*P(X=k/X>=6))
    but how i can estimate this> how i will find P(X=k and X>=6)=? and P(X>=6)=? where k=1,2,3...

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2013 #2

danago

Gold Member

[tex]
    P(X = k) = (1-p)^{k-1}p
    [/tex]

You can easily find the value of [itex]P(X \ge 6)[/itex] by realising that [itex]P(X \ge 6)=1-P(X<6)[/itex], which is computationally simple to evaluate (or use the equation for the cumulative distribution function, which you can find with a quick Google search).

[itex]P(X=k \cap X \ge 6)[/itex] is quite simple if you consider particular values of k. What is its value if [itex]k<6[/itex]? What about when [itex]k \ge 6[/itex]?

4. May 26, 2013 #3

I like Serena

Homework Helper

What does the condition X>=6 mean in words?
    What can you say about expectation of the number of additional throws required?

If you understand it, you can see the answer immediately.

5. May 26, 2013 #4
    i found the P(X>=6) but i cant find the P(X=k AND x>=6) i sum all them :sum from k=6 to inf of p*(1-p)^(k-1) bt its not correct...

6. May 26, 2013 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For k < 6, what is the event {X = k and X >= 6}? (Never mind about probabilities for now; just answer my question about the event. For k = 6, what is the event {X = k and X >= 6}? For k > 6, what is the event {X = k and X >= 6}?

As I said, answer these questions first, then worry afterwards about probabilities.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted