Probability & Expectation Value of X + Y

In summary, you can calculate the expectation value of a function using either Method A or Method B. If you cannot write the table yourself, you can ask for help.
ParisSpart
we have variables X,Y with f(m,n)=P(X=m,Y=n) with f(0.1)=0.1 f(1.0)=0.1 f(1.1)=0.344
find the expectation value E(X+Y)

i need help because i don't how to start to solve this , if i begin with the definition of the expected value i can't do anything any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
If your function f requires two arguments, as you indicate by f(m,n), how can you calculate f(0.1) = 0.1 and so on? do you mean f(0,1) = 0.1, f(1,0) = 0.1, f(1,1) = 0.344?
What values other than 0 and 1 are possible for X and Y, or are these the only possibilities? Make sure you've provided ALL the information accurately.

f(m.n) the m and n takes 0 and 1 values ...

I will assume my comment about you meaning f(0,1) instead of f(0.1) was correct.
Think about it this way: if X, Y can each be only 0 or 1 there are only 4 possibilities: (0,0), (1,0), (0,1), (1,1). You have the probabilities assigned to three of the four, so you can make a table with two columns (labeled 0 and 1) and two rows (also labeled 0 and 1). In each cell put the appropriate probability:
In cell (0,1) put .1, in cell (1,0) put .1, in cell (1,1) put 0.344. (Since the four probabilities have to sum to 1 you can find the probability for cell (0,0) yourself.)

Now you have two ways to go.
Method A: To calculate the expectation work out the sum

[tex]
E(X+Y) = \sum f(m,n) (m+n)
[/tex]

- it will have as many terms as there are cells in the table.

Method B:
The rows of your table have the values for X, the columns the values for Y, so the edges of the table give the marginal distributions of X and Y. Then

[tex]
E(X+Y) = E(X) + E(Y)
[/tex]

can be calculated using the appropriate marginal distributions.

Methods A and B give the same answer (when applied correctly) so you can use whichever you prefer.

Set things up and try the work before posting more questions.

Last edited:
i don't understand the commands of the table... the commands...

can you write again the table?

ParisSpart said:
can you write again the table?

More important: can YOU write the table? If so, do it. If you cannot, tell us why.

if i wanted to find the P(X=0) i will find f(0,0) and if yes , why?

1. What is the difference between probability and expectation value?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood of an event occurring, while expectation value is the average value of a random variable over many trials.

2. How is the probability of X + Y calculated?

The probability of X + Y is calculated by adding the individual probabilities of X and Y, assuming they are independent events.

3. What is the relationship between expectation value and variance?

The expectation value is the mean or average of a random variable, while variance is a measure of the spread of the data around the mean. In other words, expectation value tells us the central tendency of the data, while variance tells us how much the data deviates from the central tendency.

4. Can the expectation value of X + Y be negative?

Yes, the expectation value of X + Y can be negative if the individual probabilities of X and Y are negative. However, if both X and Y have positive probabilities, then the expectation value of X + Y will also be positive.

5. How does the law of large numbers relate to expectation value?

The law of large numbers states that as the number of trials or experiments increases, the average outcome will approach the expected value. This means that the more times we perform an experiment with a random variable, the closer the average outcome will be to the expectation value.