1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expected value

1. May 13, 2013 #1
    we have variables X,Y with f(m,n)=P(X=m,Y=n) with f(0.1)=0.1 f(1.0)=0.1 f(1.1)=0.344
    find the expectation value E(X+Y)

i need help because i dont how to start to solve this , if i begin with the definition of the expected value i cant do anything any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2013 #2

statdad

Homework Helper

If your function f requires two arguments, as you indicate by f(m,n), how can you calculate f(0.1) = 0.1 and so on? do you mean f(0,1) = 0.1, f(1,0) = 0.1, f(1,1) = 0.344?
    What values other than 0 and 1 are possible for X and Y, or are these the only possibilities? Make sure you've provided ALL the information accurately.

4. May 13, 2013 #3
    f(m.n) the m and n takes 0 and 1 values ...

5. May 13, 2013 #4

statdad

Homework Helper

I will assume my comment about you meaning f(0,1) instead of f(0.1) was correct.
    Think about it this way: if X, Y can each be only 0 or 1 there are only 4 possibilities: (0,0), (1,0), (0,1), (1,1). You have the probabilities assigned to three of the four, so you can make a table with two columns (labeled 0 and 1) and two rows (also labeled 0 and 1). In each cell put the appropriate probability:
    In cell (0,1) put .1, in cell (1,0) put .1, in cell (1,1) put 0.344. (Since the four probabilities have to sum to 1 you can find the probability for cell (0,0) yourself.)

Now you have two ways to go.
    Method A: To calculate the expectation work out the sum

[tex]
    E(X+Y) = \sum f(m,n) (m+n)
    [/tex]

- it will have as many terms as there are cells in the table.

Method B:
    The rows of your table have the values for X, the columns the values for Y, so the edges of the table give the marginal distributions of X and Y. Then

[tex]
    E(X+Y) = E(X) + E(Y)
    [/tex]

can be calculated using the appropriate marginal distributions.

Methods A and B give the same answer (when applied correctly) so you can use whichever you prefer.

Set things up and try the work before posting more questions.

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  6. May 13, 2013 #5
    i dont understand the commands of the table.... the commands...

7. May 13, 2013 #6
    can you write again the table?

8. May 13, 2013 #7

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

More important: can YOU write the table? If so, do it. If you cannot, tell us why.

9. May 13, 2013 #8
    if i wanted to find the P(X=0) i will find f(0,0) and if yes , why?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted