1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expected values of a limiter

1. Oct 22, 2011 #1
    For the limiter shown below, find the expected value for Y = g(X)
    dh6b6s.png

attempt at solution:
    E[Y] = ∫g(x)f(x)dx, where f(x) is the probability density function with respect to x
    so...
    E[Y] = E[Y1] + E[Y2] + E[Y3]
    E[Y1] = ∫-af(x)dx where the limits of integration are from -∞ to -a
    so E[Y1] = -aFx(-a), where Fx is the cumulative distribution function
    E[Y2] = ∫xf(x)dx where the limits of integration are -a to a
    this is the part i'm having trouble with
    E[Y3] = ∫af(x)dx where limits of integration are a to ∞
    so E[Y3] = a(1-Fx(a))

i'm having trouble simplifying E[Y2] into one expression because of the limits of integration. i know it would be just E[Y2] if the limits were -∞ to ∞, but that is not the case here

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2011 #2
    I think that when the domain of integration is limited over a certain set A, the expected value becomes the conditional expected value of X given that X lies on A, times the probability that X lies on A.

4. Oct 23, 2011 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Unless you have a specific form for f(x) you have gone as far as you can: E(Y2) does not simplify further in any useful way. By the way: I would argue against your notation E(Y1), E(Y2), etc. You do not have three separate random variables Y1, Y2 and Y3; you just have three separate "pieces" of the same random variable Y.

RGV

5. Oct 23, 2011 #4
    hmm..ok

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook