Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expecting death

1. Feb 8, 2004 #1
    What do you anticipate beyond death, and how are you preparing for it?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2004 #2
    Beyond death I anticipate a world in which my primitive imagination can't possissibly fathom and of course that's what every animal thinks
  4. Feb 9, 2004 #3
    encoded oblivion like the infinitesimal halo around 0, shrinking yet expanding, static yet dynamic, one but two and naught yet infinite

how does one prepare for any 'new' thing? same applies here.
  5. Feb 9, 2004 #4

I expect nothing, except perhaps the freedom from expectations. :wink:
  6. Feb 9, 2004 #5
    i'm rather fond of that answer. it's like a door to someplace or some state and one has no idea what is past it yet we must all some day open that door not knowing at all what is behind it.
  7. Feb 9, 2004 #6
    Drinking too much, eating too much, stressing too much and not sleeping enough. That should be pretty good preperation, don't you think. I figure the next best thing would be jumping off a building.

8. Feb 10, 2004 #7
    Hi Loren,

Since we're in the philosophy subforum, I'll echo the thoughts of the 19th century neo-Kantian philosopher Arthur Schopenhauer, who is now remembered (rightly or wrongly) primarily as an anti-Hegelian pessimist.

His assertion was that death is merely "a return to the nothingness of the unborn".

Essentially this is an expression of what philosophers would call "monistic materialism" --i.e. "monism" as opposed to (Cartesian) "dualism", where mind and matter are all "one kind of thing"; thus when one's brain ceases to function, then one's consciousness (and/or "soul") ceases to exist. "Materialism" meaning that all phenomena in the universe are reducible to physical "laws of nature", without any explanatory requirement of things "beyond" such laws (i.e. the supernatural).

Although some people (particularly those holding religious beliefs) might view that as being the epitome of pessimism, it could also be viewed as a frank recognition of the preciousness of life. In the latter interpretation, one could argue that the value of life increases in the absence of any (non-falsifiable) 'afterlife'.

Best regards,
  9. Feb 10, 2004 #8
    I expect to be myself at least in soul and spirit and not reincarnate on Earth. However, one's expectations should not be too high. First, expect something of yourself here on Earth for down here your expactations can be fulfilled.

Your life may not be promised you - but come hell or high water - death will.
  10. Feb 10, 2004 #9
    it will be as waking from a dream is on this level. hopefully, i will have prepared my psyche to accept this 'awakening'.

11. Feb 10, 2004 #10

Science Advisor

I am expecting oblivion.

The good news is you don't have to do much to prepare for it. It's the kind of job you can do with no training or experience.

12. Feb 10, 2004 #11
    if it is oblivion, then you train for that when you sleep.
  13. Feb 10, 2004 #12

Science Advisor

In sleep there are dreams, and subconcious response to the world around you. Oblivion is less than that.

14. Feb 10, 2004 #13
    maybe you do, but i don't dream 100% of the time i'm asleep.

i was also hinting at the possibility that we dream when we are dead. maybe we are dead and this is a dream. HA!
  15. Feb 10, 2004 #14
    Life, just in a manner that most do not, presently, know of, (bit like "NO" space) the preparation for that is done by living here, and learning what you need to know. (Truth!)
  16. Feb 10, 2004 #15
    I anticipate timelessness beyond death, and prepare for it by having a good time in this life!
  17. Feb 11, 2004 #16
    THAT'S SAD ! !

18. Feb 13, 2004 #17
    I anticipate that I will decompose and feed a tree that will grow healthy and strong. That tree no doubt will be cut down and sold off as timber and cosequentlly I will be part of some house or a picture frame maybe! Part of me will leach away into the water table only to be pumped up and sprayed on the crops so that they will grow and flourish. The crops will then be harvested and sold for human consumption at a supermarket,where someone will take part of me home and eat me. How do I pepare for this? Make picture frames and eat lots!!
  19. Feb 13, 2004 #18
    if i were to be eaten by a cannibal then i'd end up flushed down the toilet like a fish formerly in a bowl.
  20. Feb 20, 2004 #19
    "Although some people (particularly those holding religious beliefs) might view that as being the epitome of pessimism, it could also be viewed as a frank recognition of the preciousness of life. In

Yes, I have considered this. Theoretically, athiestic materialismt should be more spiritual... But in real life I have observed that they are usually merely more withdrawn and very slow to acknowledge that life is precious, believing that "preciousness" is merely another falsification, and emotional response to death. Many are infact very selfish. The atiests (monists) I've known were so obtuse that they believed that their brand of belief is the "triumph of intellect over emotion," but did not realize that this itself IS an emotional response.

Am, I tend to not have a structured belief system. At the age of 7 I compelled my family to reexamine our Chistian alliegence and renouce it. I'm a transcendentalist. Spirituality is infinitly more beautiful than religion as most religons are conditonal. (Do this and you will go to Heaven, or do this and you will end your suffering). Thus, the majority of religious people are not sincere, if even only at a subconscious level. Very religious people are overwhelmingly dishonest, nihilistic. Spirituality can not be reduced to intellectual beliefs or philosophical predisposition. It is a state of being.

But based on my memory, dying is like the end of a dream- waking up. It is convienent for us that there is the metaphore. When we are having a non-lucid dream, our dream self seldom even comprehends that he exists apart from this dream. He cannot distinguish between dream and reality, although he never experiences reality so he takes dream as reality. This is undeniable. Furthermore, the dream self is not YOU. It is sort of like an extension of your personality, a fragmentation. But your self, your "you" is also not fully the real you. It also is just an extension. No ammount of science can proove or disproove this. When you die, you merege into your full self-- it is a self that transcends life and death. Immediately, you will remember coutless existences. You will immediately know that you have never come into being, there is no beginning for you, you have always been. If you've been an athiest all your life, these beliefs will fade in an "instant" (time is very different).
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2004
  21. Feb 20, 2004 #20
    I change my mind, I don't expect to die, instead I might go to college to help find a way to transplant the brain into a clone, and the grim reaper can take a number...all the technology is almost already there, probably the main reason people are against it is because they don't know if they will get it, once it becomes reality I'll bet religions and politics will be quickly modified, it's probably the most worthy endevour of the human race but everyone assumes someone else will make it happen.
    Think about it, if an oragan can be transplanted and if neurons can be completely reconnected(thought to be impossible 20 years ago) and if an identical body can be grown(also thought to be impossible since the dawn of impossible thinking) then it's possible for the brain to be tranplanted into a body and nerves reconnected and people can live forever and almost ever in the silly kingdom of heaven if they want, or move on to the extra silly kingdom of heaven if they want. That would be a great company to start up, give us a 2k investment and in 10 years we might give you another lifetime...maybe even add an extra head if you want...of course it's foolishness just like microchips and flying machines.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?